New Snake Pics!

I thought of you today, they are working on the High School next door, it's new and they putting in the football field. They dug up a bunch of hibernating rattlesnakes. A fellow from the El Paso zoo came and picked them up. He said they are Green rattlesnakes, wish I had a pic to post, but I just found out about them.

tongue.gif
Kim!
wink.png

Writer, that is so cool! Im really glad they didnt kill them. Extremely unfortunate that their home was destroyed though. That's what most people dont realize about digging up rattler homes is that they go back there every year to hibernate, and they hibernate in huge numbers. Its terrible. Im glad someone came and picked them up though, its much better than killing them.

CG, Thanks! What most people dont realize is that they arent hard to care for at all! I keep their food in the freezer, feed them, let them digest for 3-4 days and then hold them for around 15 minutes the next few days til I feed them again! They arent like dogs where you have to walk them and spend tons of time with them. They are happy to sit in their hide until you come over and bug them,lol.

Well, I know... but there aren't any pet stores around here that carry them. One day I'll find one I like and make the purchase.
wink.png
I would also like to get a bearded dragon or two, but I'm wanting to get colored ones like blue or red.

I did get the cutest western hog nose from a pet store that was closing down. Poor thing had a rotting mouse in the cage with it. Yuck! It's about half a foot long and no bigger 'round than my pinky finger. It had an incomplete shed too, made me angry but I didn't say anything because they were giving me the snake and it's habitat. I got the humidity up when I brought it home and it finished the shed that was still stuck on it's head over it's eyes.

Quote:
That would be great if you proved the adult female to at least be het-Amel. Were there any other normal-appearing animals in the group from which you selected her? It's a lot of fun to prove out possible hets...I hatched my first piebald ball pythons 5 years after starting with a single 50% possible-het male...totally worth the wait!

Good luck with your project!
big_smile.png

ChickenGurl - Have you ever thought of getting one shipped to you? My 4 youngest ones got shipped to me from Kathy Love in Florida, and Im in California! That's terrible, do you still have to Hognose? I'd love to see pics! I've always wanted one, but my mom's rule is Corns, I dont know why,lol.

Thanks, Fox! What morphs do you have?

Yeah, Roux. It would be pretty cool! I dont really remember, since it was so long ago, but I know there were Amels, Anerys and Snows. Yeah, I have a few Normals het Hypo, possible het Lav that wont be ready for years, but I cant wait to test them out and see! Im definitely sure it was worth the wait. Piebalds are so amazing! Thanks!

Haha, Thank You, Donna!

I do still have the hog nose, I'll get some pictures of it for you. It's too cute!
smile.png
I have thought about getting them shipped; aside from being afraid they wouldn't make it, I'm also afraid of not finding a good breeder to buy from. Kinda like buying hatching eggs or chicks from hatcheries... lol, I'm paranoid.

What kind of care do they require? Like heating, food, habitat, size of cage, etc.? Also, how often do you have to clean the cage? I would love to get a snake but probably will not be able for quite some years. I just don't think it would work having a snake here at college, especially if I'm planning to get a rat! I did get a tour of our lab/animal room today and may be getting a job there. They had a ton of corn snakes, along with boas, rat snakes, king snakes, and pythons! I really hope I get the job, or even just to volunteer!

Back
Top Bottom