New South Carolina chicken owners

Hi all,

We are getting our first chickens next month and live in South Carolina on 1 acre.
Our coop is already put together and we have everything setup for the chicks till they are old enough to move into the coop. The next part will be building the run :)

Below are some answers to the template introduction thread.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes, they are arriving next month.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We will have 4 and are allowed up to 5 in our HOA. (no roosters)

(3) What breeds do you have?
Buff Laced Polish Standard, White Cochin Standard, Swedish Flower Hen, and Golden Campine.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
The fresh eggs and tranquility from watching them roam around.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Working on our house / yard, hiking, and concerts.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We have two cats (blue Russian and calico) and 1 dog (old English sheepdog). I work as a software analyst, and my wife works as a pharmacy technician.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Through Googling chicken related questions. The vast amount of knowledge on the site.

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

Hi and welcome to BYC! Fellow South Carolinians here. Sounds like a lovely selection of chickens you're starting with. And once your neighbors find out you have fresh eggs I'll bet you become popular very quickly. Some of the benefits we've enjoyed from having chickens include what you mentioned about enjoying their company. I'll bring a little stool and just sit in their run for a half hour watching them. I learn a lot about their personalities that way.

Also, their manure mixed in with their bedding makes superb mulch, which we use everywhere. We give about 4 dozen eggs a week to people who seem to enjoy them, so that's a good thing too. And one of them is a pet (Miss Rose). She's just so funny, very friendly.

Keep in touch, tell us how you're doing, and blessings upon your new chicken family!

-byc-peeps-happiness.png

hello-smiley.gif
Congratulations on starting your new chicken adventure!
Here's a few articles to consider while waiting for your chicks to arrive:

You Certainly Can Brood Chicks Outdoors

How Much Room Do Chickens Need

Chicken Coop Ventilation - Go Out There And Cut More Holes In Your Coop!

Predator Proofing

Back
Top Bottom