NEW Sussex Color (Cuckoo)

Quote:
I thought the first one was a rooster. I will need to verify the original bird for my records.

Suzie

Last edited:
Quote:
I thought the first one was a rooster. I will need to verify the original bird for my records.

Suzie

I am not 100% sure. I thought that the Silver Sussex rooster on a light hen or a silver hen threw the first barred hen. She did have another baby or two that looked like they might be barred at the time but I am not sure what the sex was.

Of course I was not so focused on the heritage at the time and my memory does not work like it use to.

Last edited:
Quote:

Suzie

I am not 100% sure. I thought that the Silver Sussex rooster on a light hen or a silver hen threw the first barred hen. She did have another baby or two that looked like they might be barred at the time but I am not sure what the sex was.

Of course I was not so focused on the heritage at the time and my memory does not work like it use to.

You are right. I checked my paperwork and the first bird that showed barring was a Silver rooster. Then Janice crossed him onto a very dark Silver/ Light split hen and ended up with Solid Cuckoo. The first to be a solid Cuckoo was a hen. Then other Cuckoo's hatched and she went from there. Now I have F2 and F3 that are hatching 90% Cuckoo. The other 10% have been solid black and have been all hens. Thank goodness for good documentation. This can get confusing fast.

I have attached a picture the a Cuckoo hen from 1926.
77869_cuckoo-sussex-1925.jpg

The caption under the photo reads
SUSSEX 4: Sussex Cuckoo Pullet. 3rd place Barnstaple for Richard Terrot in 1926. Barnstaple was a huge agricultural show in England.

Last edited:
I need some pointer on Genetics. Can anyone point toward a good book or website that can help me learn to apply good genetics principles?

Suzie

Okay I feel pretty good about the genes that control the coloring of the feathers. The body size and shape is really good. The rooster has red eyes which is right on for Sussex. One thing that I will need to work on is, I would like to see the roosters back a little longer.

Now I need to figure out the leg color. This seems to be a bit more complicated and I am somewhat confused. Can you all help me out with this part.

I feel like the feather color is looking good for the most part, one of the pullets has beautiful cuckoo markings, body size and shape, but more of a dark gray base color in her feathers. She looks a little washed out. She is a F3. The Rooster is F2.

Most of our legs look pretty good, but there does seem to a bit of slate in some of the girls (example, one pullet has one leg that is completely pink and the other leg has a very slight slate wash down to front of it.)and the Rooster has a pink base with what I would call almost a Cuckoo marking on the front of his legs.

So where do I start. Is there an order of importance? Do I work on one trait at a time or work on them in combination?

I am not up on all the genetic terminology yet, so please translate, when you use technical terms. lol I am working on is.

Quote:
==========
Hi,
I would love to help you develop this color.
D.gif
I have 2 empty cozy coops with fully enclosed yards.
Since my Marans project ended unsuccessfully because I couldn't find quality foundation stock in
Golden Salmon, I have decided to come to Sussex to stay. Want to breed to type, no crossbreeding.
Please feel free to email me at [email protected]
Best Regards,
Karen Tewart
outside Ligonier in western PA, USA

Just put 12 Cuckoo Sussex eggs in lockdown!
smile.png
I will post pictures when they hatch. Also just put 20 more Cuckoo Sussex eggs in incubator!!

Back
Top Bottom