New to BYC

Jenwa098

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 24, 2014
Hi! I am Jen and I am new to BYC. Actually, I have stalked the site for quite some time.

I have mostly fond memories of raising chickens growing up. We raised cornish cross chicks for meat, but that lost it's appeal. We also butchered turkeys one year, but that, too lost it's appeal. We also had a variety of laying hens. Once, we had a leghorn rooster named Jethro who lived in the basement (at night) the last year of his life because he was such a good bird. The love of his life was a hen aptly named Bumble for her chronic bumblefoot. When she died he just kinda faded away...I still miss him.

As an adult I have two Indian Runner ducks and am proud to report 8 ducklings, hatched naturally by a very dedicated mama.

I also have two Bourbon Red turkeys. The hen Zelda, was abandoned at my parents and no one would claim her...so she became ours. We got her a tom we named Schmitty. Zelda is a kick in the pants and even though I never intended to have turkeys, I can't imagine my life without her. I have lots of turkey questions I will be posting as time goes by.

Thanks for having me!
Jen

This is Zelda...Schmitty is hiding in the background...
This is a temporary pen they go in when we can't be home to supervise their antics, which are many.

Welcome to BYC, I love your photo. Do turkeys really like cheese burgers? So do I. Did you know you can find turkey threads under the "OTHER Backyard Poultry ," forum. There are also duck, geese, quail, guineas etc, threads there.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Sounds like you have had some wonderful experiences! And your turkeys sound adorable!

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

That is a great and funny pic!! Sounds like you have quite the turkey characters!:)

Thanks everyone! I figured Zelda would be good for a chuckle. I will definitely check out the turkey forum!

Back
Top Bottom