New to chicken ownership! Need some advice!!

Pinecone32

Hatching
Apr 6, 2021
New to this! Background. I bought a house and the old owners left me matured rooster. The family has come to love him and he’s since warmed up to us as well. I surprised my fiancé with 4 chicks that are now about 4-5 weeks old. All came from tractor supply. 3 came from one brooder that was all females. The other (southern rambler) came from a brooder that was mixed. The rambler is now much bigger than the other 3. I’m not sure if this is just the breed or if he is rooster?? So now I’m concerned that he is indeed a rooster and that him and the rooster that came with the house are not going to get along with only having 3 hens and that they didn’t grow up together. I don’t have a big enough coop to stock up on more hens. Any suggestions? any safe ways to introduce them? Any way to tell if he is a rooster or a hen at 4-5 weeks? Also the rooster that came with the house is free range. He sleeps in a tree and roams the property all day while the new chickens will stay in a coop with a fenced in pen area. The old rooster can get into this pen no problem I thought chickens couldn’t fly but I’ve seen this one get some serious height upwards of 7-8 feet lol. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Hi. Welcome to BYC!
You can never tell how roosters will respond to each other but with only 3 females, you'll probably have trouble. The females will definitely have trouble. That may be enough to satisfy the old rooster (or not) but a cockrel may injure them by mounting them too often.
I'd get rid of the young one if he is a male. Post some pictures. I'm sure someone will be able to help you with the gender.

3FE650F1-4E6A-4F7B-B0E3-5A53408354C5.jpeg

Attachments

• A8B6A69F-AEBF-4AD6-8625-2DF4620137D3.jpeg
    A8B6A69F-AEBF-4AD6-8625-2DF4620137D3.jpeg
    616.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 9E7D25FF-D8C2-4562-81EC-6FA9294858DA.jpeg
    9E7D25FF-D8C2-4562-81EC-6FA9294858DA.jpeg
    819.3 KB · Views: 9
Hi. Welcome to BYC!
You can never tell how roosters will respond to each other but with only 3 females, you'll probably have trouble. The females will definitely have trouble. That may be enough to satisfy the old rooster (or not) but a cockrel may injure them by mounting them too often.
I'd get rid of the young one if he is a male. Post some pictures. I'm sure someone will be able to help you with the gender.
Uploaded below. Thanks!

I can't find a southern rambler. Could it have been Rustic Rambler? If so that's sex linked, and a black one would be female. However, this bird looks to be hyper-melanistic which makes me think they are a Mystic Onyx or whatever that hybrid is called.

I can't find a southern rambler. Could it have been Rustic Rambler? If so that's sex linked, and a black one would be female. However, this bird looks to be hyper-melanistic which makes me think they are a Mystic Onyx or whatever that hybrid is called.
I’m not sure to be honest! I’ll post a pic of the brooder it came out of from tractor supply

Attachments

• DBF36BFE-F0E5-42DE-A18E-0F782A3E6C10.jpeg
    DBF36BFE-F0E5-42DE-A18E-0F782A3E6C10.jpeg
    561.3 KB · Views: 10
I've been looking too. TSC mystery bird! But someone mentioned a name change to Mystic Onyx. Looks like a silke cross with all those toes.

Back
Top Bottom