New to chicken

reen

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 7, 2014
I have a hen that eats and drinks. But she walks around with her tail feathers down and seems like she struggles to walk. It almost looks like she's bound up. The other hens pick on her. So I put her in our shop and she will roost at night. She doesn't seem to do much pooping. I'm feeding her cracked corn. Any suggestions would be appreciated ! Thanks Reen

Welcome to BYC. First off, let me say that your chickens need 16% layer feed, not cracked corn which is only 8% protein. They need a balanced diet with all of the vitamins and minerals (especially calcium for laying.) Tail feathers down means she is sick. Struggling to walk can mean several things. Does she drag a leg, limp, or just move slowly? I would check her skin all over and under her vent for mites or lice and eggs. Dust her with 5% Sevin dust or Permethrin if you find any. Then I would worm her with SafeGuard (fenbandazole) horse paste or liquid goat wormer 1/2 cc/ml of either one. Check her crop in the morning to feel if it is full and squishy or hard--it normally should be flat in morning.

Alright and
welcome-byc.gif
it's great to have you here
frow.gif

Let's stop the cracked corn for now
fl.gif

Feel the bottom of your chicken for any hard spots, egg bound is what you are looking for
bow.gif

Yogurt, Rice, cut up apples, a couple of hardboiled eggs peeled and mashed then served
love.gif

Put some Electrolyte and Probiotic in a gallon of water
droolin.gif

Let's see if this makes a difference
he.gif

gander007
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom