New to chickens? how many are you starting with?

I thought I was a going a little over board with my first stash of 12 hens, 1 roo but you guys make me wonder if I got enough
wink.png
!This is a great forum!

Hi there! I started with 9 hens about seven years ago. Now I have 2 roos and 10 hens[ 1 hen is 7 so she doesn't lay anymore] But I thought I was getting low so I ordered 25 chicks from McMurray, they should arrive on April 19th. Where am I going to put them all after they are out of the brooder is beyond me!! Summer's not so bad as they will only be in the coop to lay and sleep. They all free range all over the yard right now so I guess I won't worry about it until late summer! I love my chicks~~~~

went to tsc today, almost bought 6 more, thank god my wife was with me and stopped me, she reminded me I'm getting 10 more on the 5th. I'll have 23 and only one coop. She was right!
fl.gif

Hi, I'm new to the forum and from central Utah.

I am in a dense suburban setting inside city limits, so have to abide by the chicken laws. I got four 2week-old Black Australorp pullets that I'm keeping in the bathtub until they get bigger and it gets warmer. The lady I got them from said that if any turn out to be roosters, she'll trade for hens! That's good because the chicken law says I can't keep roosters at all. I have a well fenced yard (a six foot non-see through fence all around, that will probably help with dogs) and will be building a sturdy run and coop for them. I'll probably build a portable setup and let them be on my big lawns, and hose the poop into the lawn, moving them frequently.

They seem to be doing well on medicated crumbles from the feed store. They eat out of my hand and I hope they'll be tame, as I have grandkids around that should enjoy them.

I would have liked to get more, but that would be pushing the limits of the poultry ordinance, which was just enacted. Used to be, my city would not allow ANY poultry!
chickens02.jpg

Last edited:
I'm now in the process of building my second coop. More secure,better lighting, easier to clean and much mush bigger. 16X12 with 8' walls, 2 separate runs (covered) and 1/2 acre to roam outside runs
I have a very understanding wife

We were going to get 4 adult birds. But then we decided to get chicks so that we could be certain of age and breed. Then we ended up buying 6. After the tragedy that we suffered with our crazy dog, we bought 8 chickies. Just lost 1 to unknown reasons. Now we've just found out a place down the road is getting barred rocks next week... Eeeee I may have to get more. Fortunately we built a large coop.

Before I got ANY I was thinking I would just get 4-6 hens.

Fast forward 2 months and I now have 28 hens AND roos. 6 quail. 2 ducklings.
th.gif

I will prune out the roos that I don't need after they are more mature and I can hopefully decide who has to go. So far only 1 is slated.

Back
Top Bottom