New to Chickens....Lots of Questions

KYMomma

Hatching
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Eastern Kentucky
We just got our first batch of chickens a couple months ago. A rooster, hen and 7 biddies. All have done fantastic, no problems. Until...

Last week we were given 4 Black Star hens, over a year old. We culled 2 of them after the first day because they were missing feathers around the vent, what was there was matted, with a discharge. We washed and wiped them with warm water, gave them yogurt and oatmeal. Gave them Probios water. Within 2 days they were dead (they didn't look the healthiest when we got them by any means). By what we've read, it sounds like pasty bottom, but we're not positive.

Our rooster has always seemed fine, but has started pooping a VERY bright green. They stay in their coup, so no poisoning could be happening. He's eating what he's always eaten - nothing red. His comb seems to be getting slightly darker around the edges. We're worried there could be something going on with him that could be related to the two hens that we lost.

Last thing - one of the biddies, ever since we got it, has a leg that shakes. In the last couple days, sometimes it walks correctly and sometimes it's foot will be turned under. It seems slightly swollen. Any ideas?

Sorry so much all at once. Thanks!

please say what all you feed them..especially the rooster.

you say they are cooped..do they get out at all?
in a pen?
do they get any sunlight?
(sunlight is important for metabolism)

what bedding are you using?
check the bedding for any signs of mold, mildew, or dampness.

check the roo's crop..at roost time it should feel full.
recheck in the morning, it should feel empty or flat..
feel for any lumps or grainy feeling. or any sour odor.
describe how the crop feels..hard, water balloon, soft and squishy..etc..

does he have access to any grains?
if so..check for mold.
check feed for mold.

does he have any other symptoms, such as wheezing?
anything you can think of.

green droppings can indicate several things..
that he isn't eating ..and undiluted bile is showing in droppings.
and some other diseases which can be pretty serious.
but do the checks as I posted.

the chick...what all do you feed him?
how old is he?
have you checked him for any heat or swelling?
checked the bottom of foot and between the toes for sores, scab, heat or swelling.
check for splinter.

usually leg and foot type problems like curling are from certain vitamin deficiency.(riboflavin..vit B)
try and get some Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins, Enfamil brand if possible..no iron...give 2 drops on beak once a day for 5 days, then 1 drop for 5 days..
and a teeny dab of Vitamin E oil from capsule.

put him a smallish confined area, with clean soft bedding and food and water close so he can rest the foot.
give 1/2 (81 mg) plain aspirin crushed into 2 cups of water..give some by drops on beak.

They are given scratch grains, fresh grass/greens, and chop. We have Starter for the smaller ones, and I'm not exactly sure what kind of feed for the largers ones (my husband usually handles that). Some kind of laying mash.

When I say cooped, I mean they have their house and a big enclosed run. They are out all day everyday with plenty of sun.

We have pine bedding, which we've changed out since the other 2 hens died.

He acts perfectly fine, however, I didn't seem him eating as much of the greens yesterday when I gave it to them. It seems he just wants to holler for the others to come and eat.

The chick is given Purina starter, medicated. And also has access to the grass, scratch, and chop. He's probably about 8-10 weeks old now. I'll be checking him this morning to see if I can find anything going on.

"roo acts perfectly fine"

roos really hide their illness until they are very sick.

do try to check his crop.
if he's hard to handle, get him after he goes to roost and is sleepy.
wrap him with a towel..
it's important to check the crop.

Back
Top Bottom