New to Chickens

NWHeather

Chirping
Feb 7, 2020
eastern WA, near the Idaho border
So I thought I was shorted on the Ameraucana's, I paid for 4, but when I got home, with the list and descriptions of each, only 2 fit the description they gave. I went back to get a couple more, because I wanted a few of them, and it turns out the two I have are just really light.
I still came home with a couple more Ameraucana's and Blue Australorp, and I added a couple Black Sexlink.

I was told they have a 80% guarantee on sexing, so I expect at least a couple will be roosters, which I'm ok with, because I do want a rooster.

Here are some of the babies I brought home the 2nd trip. LOL

Is the coloring that much different on Ameraucana's as hatchlings? Is it possible the two really light ones are roosters?

Attachments

NWHeather

Chirping
Feb 7, 2020
eastern WA, near the Idaho border
😭😭 I want tiny chicks again!!
And it's almost chick days at TSC 😂😂
Must resist....
I have a few more that I will be picking up on a week. They are ordering their chicks in batches, and some of the breeds I wanted weren't offered in the first batch.
I will pick up a couple Mottled Javas, Blue Langshans and Black Langshans on Saturday. I will keep those separate of course until they grow a bit, and I'll integrate them into the other babies.

On a sad note, I lost a couple babies over the past few days. I think many of them are getting enough feathers on them that they don't want the heat from the brooder plate, so most of them are sleeping in a group in another area of the box, and two appear to have been squished :( One happened a couple days ago, and the other one today.
I've been told it is not uncommon.
I couldn't tell which breed they were, because a few of the breeds look so much alike when they're babies.

They'll be moving into a bigger area in the next week or so. I picked up a huge cardboard fridge box, that I will be setting up in my camper trailer.
I will be working on the chicken coop and enclosed run over the next couple weeks, so it's ready when the babies are ready to move outside.
I figured out a way to keep the shavings out of the water reservoir. I elevated the water bin on a rectangular box that sits a couple inches up, and another one sitting next to it. Many are tall enough to get water without stepping onto the other little box.
I'm considering a different way to provide water for them as well, for the coop.

Top Bottom