new to chicks advice apprreciated

Couchie

Songster
Mar 10, 2019
Albany, Western Australia
Hi, We had some chicks hatch today. I thought they'd look after themselves but I now realize that's not the case. I can't get any chick crumble for at least 12 hours (its been 6 already) and I dont have them in a special room with a special water feeder.

I put fertilized eggs under a broody chook and she seems to want to look after them.

What should I feed them until I get some crumble?

How should I give them water?

Any advice is appreciated
Resized_20191211_132238_6110.jpeg

Perhaps she detects that it may still hatch. Usually they will abandon a nest when several hatch.

A mother hen is a formidable foe and will protect the chicks from all comers. IMO, they are better off with the flock. If you separate them for too long, introducing the chicks will be harder. By the time they get older if they stay with the flock, they will be accepted as members by the others.

A setting hen isn't laying eggs so her comb and wattles will likely pale and shrink. That is normally the case for any bird not in production.
The chick starter won't hurt the hy-line flock as long as they have oyster shell or other calcium source in a separate container.
At any rate, the chicks can't have layer feed.

In the meantime, adult food will work, but you may need to soak it in some water if it's pellets. As for water, a smaller chick size waterer is recommended until they get a little bigger and mobile. If you're letting the broody raise them, she will make sure they get what they need as long as you make it available. Best of luck!

thanks so much. I was hoping broody mum will look after them, at least a bit. Someone told me they will stay under the mother for 24 hours. Mum seems thirsty and hungry but not moving so I am trying an eye dropper thing to get some water to mum and babies if they want it. The egg room is about 1.5 feet from the ground, so hopefully they'll be ok when the do wander. I'm in Australia and it's pretty warm at the moment so hopefully they'll be ok overnight.

Last edited:
Thank you ChickenCanoe for you reply.

There is one unhatched egg that mum doesn't seem to want to leave. It's now been about 18 hours now since the first two hatched. Do you think I should remove the unhatched one?

Also, it is now morning and we will be able to get some starter feed soon. I am thinking of moving mum and the chicks to a smaller triangular prism cage. I will build them a nest and they can live without the other chickens for a few days. Plus the location I am thinking will be a mix of grass and sandy dirt so mum can have a bath - she has many insects on her. Do people think this is a good idea?

It's been great to have BYC forum to go to.

Im a bad reader!
If you have a flock this broody belongs to then nix the cage, she's got it covered lol!
You could set up a cage with chick sized entries/exits so they can hide while mom does her chicken things.
They may never use it but the option is nice.:)
Perhaps she detects that it may still hatch. Usually they will abandon a nest when several hatch.

A mother hen is a formidable foe and will protect the chicks from all comers. IMO, they are better off with the flock. If you separate them for too long, introducing the chicks will be harder. By the time they get older if they stay with the flock, they will be accepted as members by the others.

Back
Top Bottom