new to ducks

I just ordered my ducks too. 2 WH's 1 cyauga 1 Jumbo pekin and 1 runner ( for my daughter she really wanted one) all girls. I have 2 muscovys 1month old and 1 pekin 2 weeks and 1 seebie goose 2 weeks. All girls. They are due to arrive on the 15th I can't wait.
wee.gif

I can't wait to hear about yours

Aren't they!? They are my first batch of ducklings. I brooded them in a tote hotel. On towels - not sure I'd do towels again. lol. A friend of mine broods in her tub, and rinses it down with the sprayer twice a day. Sounds so much easier. How are you doing the brooding? I let mine swim early too. picked them out of the bathtub of lukewarm water with a towel on my lap and absorbed some of the wet, then put them in the tote on a towel to get dry and warmed, with the 100 watt heat lamp a little closer so they don't get chilled (red christmas flood light duck taped to a camera tripod I could raise and lower) They also don't like it TOO warm. Less than chicks. I am a fuss budget mamma hen when it comes to brooding. Might as well get the most out of it. lol.

Quote:
when you figger out the picture thing, Lemme know, I can't figger it out either. I just turned to a "just hatched" at 25 posts. I have photos Uploaded, but can't figger out the rest of getting them on my page.
I feed mine June Bugs, they love those too!
Awesome pics, pretty birds. I'm wanting Chanteclers, hardy for cold winters, they were developed in Canada I hear. And I would like to get Dominiques, an old breed which is supposed to be hardy.

Hi ben is a terror! Sounds like you're going to be busy! Looking forward to hearing about your ducklings when they arrive! Hope you'll stay in touch!

Hi tdgill! What's a tote hotel? I'm still working out ideas for brooding setup
I brooded chicks in the family room side of my kitchen. I used plastic storage bins that we covered with wire lids. I used pine bedding with feeders and waterers in each. I then put two x pens we use for our dogs around the plastic bins to keep dogs from getting in to them. This helped the chickens and dogs to get used to each other in a safe way. It took a lot of work everyday. But it was worth it! While I don't allow dogs access to chickens, they don't bother them and the chickens aren't afraid when the dogs are running or barking. I'm thinking something similar for ducks with some adjustments to allow for a small swimming area. Another benefit is they will also become used to our presence. We've done the same with rabbits we recently acquired. But I'm still open to ideas!

Hey chikwannaB. I can't remember exactly, but I think after you download file from your photos, then you can enter it to your page. Well as an avatar anyway. That's all I managed to figure out. Somebody said I couldn't post pictures yet but I'm not sure why. I'll probably go back and reread some of the basics to the byc site.

Oh! Congrats on achieving just hatched status! I think it's a fun idea. Yeah we tried to stay with breeds that could tolerate cold. We have lots of rain, but it still gets cold.

"share our enthusiasm" is indeed a better way of putting it, gregnlinda! I am using my phone too and learning. I am sure we will figure it out!

Back
Top Bottom