new to ducks

Hi! I see you made just hatched status, too!
thumbsup.gif
Congratulations! Looks like really nice weather today. Another blessing! LOL, yes, hopefully one of us can figure out how to post pics! As for me, well, it'll be an excercise in patience. So far all the chickens are doing great! Have to get busy on the duck brooder and outside area.

Oh and I am seriously considering the bathtub as a brooder... That is genius. Only problem is we only have the one bathroom, so what do we do when we need a shower? My husband said we would just have to be careful where we step! Ha

Ha ha! That's hilarious! Does he get to go first? LOL. I might try that too. Maybe an old plastic storage bin in the tub that could be moved out when you need it? I have a second bath but it always feels colder in there.

My tote hotel was three of those storage totes with holes cut in the sides. I cut out cardboard to make a ramp between the totes so their little feet didnt get hurt. Of course I had to replace those every day. lol. If you have been successful uploading your pics, all you need to do is go to your uploads and left click your mouse on the "Image" info under the pic....then right click on that image info and click on "copy" Now you can right click "paste" into your message. :)

21969_dscn8841.jpg

the clear tote has a wire top I added later. I liked using the clear one so I could see them while sitting at my pc and they could see out. They also liked watching the tv. lol!

I brooded in the house for three weeks. It was a chore but the totes rolled outside easily and I hosed them out. I put a piece of cardboard over the hole to keep them in the other totes while I was washing the one out. Eventually, I would let them take a nice swim in the bathtub while I cleaned out all the totes together. Of course then I had to clean the tub too. phew.

I think having the water in the far right tote kept things dryer where they slept, far left. But still what a mess they can make. lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing those great photos! I was thinking like a tote bag/duffel. LOL. Now that you know my level of creativity, your setup is great!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom