New to Ducks

6ChicksandaDog

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
Waterbury
Hi I'm new to owning ducks, I do have 6 chickens. I have 3 weeks old Pekin and 1 swedish pekin mix. I was wondering if anyone can give me any tips on how to make them a littel less timid and scared of being handled. I have been trying to handle them everyday a few times a day.

Her are my hopefully girls. Any tips tricks comments would be very helpful.
Thank you!!
Amy

Hi I'm new to owning ducks, I do have 6 chickens. I have 3 weeks old Pekin and 1 swedish pekin mix. I was wondering if anyone can give me any tips on how to make them a littel less timid and scared of being handled. I have been trying to handle them everyday a few times a day.

Her are my hopefully girls. Any tips tricks comments would be very helpful.
Thank you!!
Amy
Maybe instead of trying to hold them so much you just sit with them and use bribery some kind of treat works good, let them come to you, it may take some time but if you sit quietly with them talking softly probably won't be long till they will be eating out of your hand. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements

Last edited:
Thank you thats a great idea. Currently I can't even put my hand in without them going nutty. But when I talk to them they just do there little peeps and seem Ok with that, I may try banannas to start for a treat or the Koi food. Thanks again.

We've had our little Indian Runner ducklings for a couple of weeks now and they are bonding well with us. I try not to handle ours other than to put them outside whenever the weather allows it. Hand feeding cucumber has worked wonders, they go nuts for it chopped up, straight from the hand. Little Gem lettuce leaves also get snatched from the hand whole.

Some people here have had luck enticing them with food. But I don't think your average duck will ever be a pet. Certainly none of mine have been nearly as friendly or tolerant as a chicken. I did have some who would come over and climb on me when I sat down (and stayed still), which was cool.

Back
Top Bottom