New to geese, how to care for broody goose - need help please

coffeekittie

Songster
8 Years
I've looked and can't quite find an answer to my question, so I'll give this a try. I have a goose that seems to be going broody. She has made a nest in the middle of the gravel walkway (argh), and has been laying eggs and covering them with hay and grass when she's off the nest. If I try to give her some kind of cover (she's absolutely exposed), will that make her leave the nest? I WANT her to hatch, not try to break her broodiness.

She does have a very large Dogloo ready for her (she was going broody before I moved the flock a few days ago) filled with straw, but nope! Not her style. The big wide open gravel bed though?
roll.png

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Last edited:
I will see if the bottom comes off. If not, I will try something else with a doorway for her. Thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure if putting a shelter over her was a good idea.

Off to look now. Thanks again!
smile.png
Another thing you have to think about is her safety, is she out in the open where a pred could get to her? if so I'd break up the nest or try to move her.

I thought I'd update how the brooding goose is doing.
smile.png
She now has a very fluffy nest, all snug and secure, and there are 11 eggs in it! This doesn't count a broken egg I found a few days ago. Is it possible that another goose is also laying in her nest, when she gets off to do whatever it is that geese do? I'm not down where they live all of the time, so each visit is an adventure! Seriously though, 11 eggs? She has somehow managed through excellent spatial reasoning to make them all fit.

I have set up food and water right beside her, which she likes. She is mostly on the nest, as nearly always when I go down to sneak a peek, she's sitting.

Any input from experts?
frow.gif

I thought I'd update how the brooding goose is doing.
smile.png
She now has a very fluffy nest, all snug and secure, and there are 11 eggs in it! This doesn't count a broken egg I found a few days ago. Is it possible that another goose is also laying in her nest, when she gets off to do whatever it is that geese do? I'm not down where they live all of the time, so each visit is an adventure! Seriously though, 11 eggs? She has somehow managed through excellent spatial reasoning to make them all fit.

I have set up food and water right beside her, which she likes. She is mostly on the nest, as nearly always when I go down to sneak a peek, she's sitting.

Any input from experts?
frow.gif
Could be another goose is laying when she gets up, hard to say unless you actually catch them, I have a duck sitting on eggs and the other day when she got off to do her daily thing, I looked in the nest and found a chicken egg so while she was out someone laid in her nest. Usually once they start sitting full time they don't continue to lay eggs. Glad she is safe and continued to sit after you moved her nest.
thumbsup.gif

Found the account info! It's been a long time since on BYC!!
My goose/geese is broody, first one hatched and still waiting on others........how long should i let the momma set and wait on others before moving her off the nest. I don't want her to become too run down. She was getting off daily until this first one hatched.......Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom