New to goats, do i have a pregnant goat?

AnniesFarmFl

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Bell,Fl
I have a lamancha doe that I think is pregnant but I'm not so sure, here are some photos of her,she had been acting odd recently, isolating herself from the herd and hiding under the feeder or in the back corner of the goat shelter.

Your goat may or may not be pregnant. As the pregnancy advances you will see changes in the top rear of her udder. The behavior you describe would more likely be because she is not feeling well or is trying to escape her herdmates than from being pregnant.

We had test done to see if she was sick the results say no, we are gonna get blood work done for her, the previous owners said they saw their sire mount her before we bought them, its been a couple months since then, we have seen him mount our other girls but not her.

We had test done to see if she was sick the results say no, we are gonna get blood work done for her, the previous owners said they saw their sire mount her before we bought them, its been a couple months since then, we have seen him mount our other girls but not her.

She may very well be pregnant, but pregnancy shouldn't cause the behavior changes you mention. That said, goats are goats and with goats just about anything is possible.

She needs some serious nutrition, pregnant or not. What do you feed her? What hay? What grain, how much, and how often? Dairy goats are often more svelte than other goats, but her hips, spine, and rubs should not protrude that dramatically. If she is pregnant, she will need more food than if she is not pregnant.

Have you sent in a fecal sample to the vet to check for internal parasites? If so, you definitely need to. If it is clear, than her poor body condition is caused by not getting enough calories, versus worms in her gut.

She eats a mixture of noble goat feed with alfalfa and some fodder, with Hay x2 a day with pasture. She is due for a deworming and we are having her blood drawn and we will check her fecal matter too.

Congrats! :) enjoy the new little ones. In the dairy goat world we use bucks and does, not nannies and billies for terminology :)

Back
Top Bottom