New to Hatching Eggs

Spicegirlfam

Chirping
Jun 9, 2020
California
hi all,

In spring I am thinking about buying and hatching fertile eggs due to losing some chickens in the previous year. This will be my first time hatching eggs. I currently have 3 laying hens. I haven't decided if I should hatch them with an incubator or with one of my hens. what do you think? Also, if I were to have one of my hens hatch them, how could I help get may hen broody? If I use incubation, witch incubator should I use? And with has a higher or lower survival chance? thanks you!

As for making a hen broody(some people don't agree with me on this but that is OK) put her in a 5 gallon bucket with some food and water and put a towel over it so it is dark, give her a few days.

I don't think you can make a bird go broody. I use an incubator. What incubator depends on what you want to spend and how many eggs are you planning on hatching, bearing in mind all may not hatch for a multitude of reasons. Also do you want a turner and for temperature and humidity regulation. Some incubators monitor it and some don't. Maybe for a first hatch, practice with some barnyard eggs. Prepare well. Good luck and have fun...

i'd just use an incubator especially if its really cold right now where your at .. i'd say its kindof an acquired skill to use one well but alittle research and not rushing it and you'll get good results, if i can do it anybody can lol .. as far as broody hens in my experience whats turns on that instinct is usually a gigantic nest full of eggs lol .. like if they start laying in a nest box or place i miss and build up ~15 eggs a hen will usually go broody on that ...

I don't think you can make a bird go broody. I use an incubator. What incubator depends on what you want to spend and how many eggs are you planning on hatching, bearing in mind all may not hatch for a multitude of reasons. Also do you want a turner and for temperature and humidity regulation. Some incubators monitor it and some don't. Maybe for a first hatch, practice with some barnyard eggs. Prepare well. Good luck and have fun...
I am planing to hatch 3 eggs, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom