New to hatching eggs

Coop-de-doop

Songster
Mar 14, 2023
I’m experienced with chickens, but I’m hatching my first batch of eggs ever. Last night was day 7, and a couple of the chicks don’t seem to be moving anymore. Both are from my Easter Egger. The other mixes are still moving. One of the Easter Egger eggs looked like it may have the blood ring, with the dotted ring under it last night. How long do I have to make sure it’s not viable before it explodes? There’s no smell as of right now.

I’m experienced with chickens, but I’m hatching my first batch of eggs ever. Last night was day 7, and a couple of the chicks don’t seem to be moving anymore. Both are from my Easter Egger. The other mixes are still moving. One of the Easter Egger eggs looked like it may have the blood ring, with the dotted ring under it last night. How long do I have to make sure it’s not viable before it explodes? There’s no smell as of right now.
They turn solid black inside when they are going to explode early on.
Later on they turn black inside (black mass) when they are going to hatch though.

Yes. If your incubator is running hot, they can develop faster but that causes problems with the chicks.
This is a day 7-8 embryo:
egg.jpeg

This might help you too. https://backyardchickenproject.com/candling-eggs-day-7/

Is this a dead egg? Day 9. It’s hard to see with it being a green egg, but my camera seemed to pick up more than I could see with my eye.

Attachments

• IMG_2824.jpeg
    IMG_2824.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2823.jpeg
    IMG_2823.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2821.jpeg
    IMG_2821.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2820.jpeg
    IMG_2820.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 8
Here is the one I’m feeling almost certain is gone. I didn’t want to pull it until someone confirmed since I’ve never done this before. All 9 of the other eggs have babies moving in them. But the two green ones seemed to have died. I think…

Attachments

• IMG_2813.jpeg
    IMG_2813.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2814.jpeg
    IMG_2814.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2815.jpeg
    IMG_2815.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2816.jpeg
    IMG_2816.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 7
The eggs are not going to explode because the embryo is dead. That is a common misconception on the forum. What causes an egg to explode or go rotten and seep a foul liquid is bacteria getting inside and multiplying. It doesn't matter if there is a live embryo in there or not. If there is a living embryo in there when bacteria invades it will kill the chick. So do not feel any extra pressure to get an egg out if it is not developing because it will explode. It will not unless bacteria gets inside. To me the best test to see if an egg has bacteria inside is to sniff it. That rotten egg smell comes through the porous shell.

I cannot see any veining in that egg. Veining is what I'd look for at that stage, not movement. I can have trouble seeing inside my green eggs and often do not see any movement. It is quite a thrill seeing movement but I hardly ever remove any egg until I candle at lockdown for any reason. Then I remove the clears. Not because I'm afraid they are going to explode but to make it easier to follow the eggs that are pipping and hatching.

What you want to see at lockdown is a pretty solid mass in the egg but with a good air cell, but if an egg has much development, even if it is not a solid mass, I tend to leave it in. I do not worry about whether I see movement or not because sometimes I don't and the egg still hatches. Especially your first time candling, don't do anything rash.

The eggs are not going to explode because the embryo is dead. That is a common misconception on the forum. What causes an egg to explode or go rotten and seep a foul liquid is bacteria getting inside and multiplying. It doesn't matter if there is a live embryo in there or not. If there is a living embryo in there when bacteria invades it will kill the chick. So do not feel any extra pressure to get an egg out if it is not developing because it will explode. It will not unless bacteria gets inside. To me the best test to see if an egg has bacteria inside is to sniff it. That rotten egg smell comes through the porous shell.

I cannot see any veining in that egg. Veining is what I'd look for at that stage, not movement. I can have trouble seeing inside my green eggs and often do not see any movement. It is quite a thrill seeing movement but I hardly ever remove any egg until I candle at lockdown for any reason. Then I remove the clears. Not because I'm afraid they are going to explode but to make it easier to follow the eggs that are pipping and hatching.

What you want to see at lockdown is a pretty solid mass in the egg but with a good air cell, but if an egg has much development, even if it is not a solid mass, I tend to leave it in. I do not worry about whether I see movement or not because sometimes I don't and the egg still hatches. Especially your first time candling, don't do anything rash.
You have given me so much peace. I smelled them this morning, and didn’t notice anything. I’ll check again on a few days. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom