New to Incubation - Temperature management help needed

Two things with your calendar.

Sex of the chick is determined by the hen when she gives the developing egg her Chromosomes. Sex is determined before the egg is even fertilized. I'm not sure where you got that about the sex being determined on Day 5, the 9th on your calendar. Perhaps that is when an expert may be able to tell whether it will be a boy or a girl, but the sex was determined long before.

Don't count on the eggs hatching exactly on Day 21, which is correctly shown as the 25th on your calendar. For various reasons it is not that unusual for eggs to hatch more than a full day early or late. That 21 day thing is more of a target than a law of nature. Even under a broody hen I often have eggs hatch a couple of days early. So don't be concerned if you see a hatch a day or even two early. Don't give up hope if they are a bit late.

Lockdown is correct also. You got that right.

Thank you again for the feedback. From my understanding (I may be wrong) day 5 is roughly when gonads turn to testis or ovary in the embryo but in truth, I wanted something easier to explain to a 6 and 8yr old. Could be explained better than my attempt 😆

Day 21 is a guesstimation again for kids more than anything else. Have explained to them that it could happen sooner or later than that day, or in some cases not at all. Long story but they have lost a sibling not long ago so this whole process is a sensitive subject, but needed.

We just set chicks on Friday one day after you and it’s my first time hatching! I’ve never googled so much since the first time I was trying to get pregnant. I also think the temperature reading is way off (too hot) on my incubator. So right now I’m using an average between what the incubator says and the reptile thermometer with a probe, but I’ve got another glass old school thermometer coming tomorrow. I’m going to calibrate that and use an average of the 3 temperatures as my temperature gauge, trying to keep it between 37.4 and 37.7 c.

good luck with your hatch! Hopefully we’ll both have some lovely little chicks around the same time

Mine went in late Thursday afternoon so we're not far apart. Dito on googling. Google adverts are now all chicken related 😒 😆

If your current thermometers have a probe, calibrate them using the ice or boiling water method. I was worried about mine getting overcooked more than anything else. Right now my issue is managing humidity which is always too low in the mornings. I'm now at a point where I have it at 65% before I go to sleep, and wake up with it in the 30's rather than 10 - 15% which it was for first few nights.

All the best and look forward to some pics 🙂

I am on my second thermometer that’s also a hygrometer. I ruined the first one by trying to calibrate it in a glass of water....it’s not waterproof! 😂😂 the other thermometer I should be able to calibrate.

ours went in at 7:30 Friday morning so we really are close!

No air cells.

I guess this is what happens when you search too much on google.

I have been really concerned about air cells as I didn't see any before I incubated. The eggs came from a local seller (20 mins drive) who has a flock of 40 odd birds. Eggs were handled carefully and had them rest upright (pointy side down) for at least 24 hours before incubating them. Before incubating I candled them all as they went into the incubator and I didn't see a single air cell. The incubator has automatic rollers, so the eggs are on their side.

Just now, being overly stressed about the lack of air cells, I quickly candled them to see if there were any. Saw no air cells in any of them but, it looked like they all had developing embryos.

I put the eggs in the incubator on Thursday just gone. Should I be concerned?

No air cells.

I guess this is what happens when you search too much on google.

I have been really concerned about air cells as I didn't see any before I incubated. The eggs came from a local seller (20 mins drive) who has a flock of 40 odd birds. Eggs were handled carefully and had them rest upright (pointy side down) for at least 24 hours before incubating them. Before incubating I candled them all as they went into the incubator and I didn't see a single air cell. The incubator has automatic rollers, so the eggs are on their side.

Just now, being overly stressed about the lack of air cells, I quickly candled them to see if there were any. Saw no air cells in any of them but, it looked like they all had developing embryos.

I put the eggs in the incubator on Thursday just gone. Should I be concerned?
How many days are the eggs in the incubator? Was it Thursday morning or Thursday night?

There shouldn't be any visible air cell on day 1,2,3,4. after day 5 you can check for it. The later days you will notice a positive air cell.

Check your relative humidity to see if it will affect humidity in the incubator, then make adjustment if it goes to dry or to wet. 40-55 is ideal for humidity.

Back
Top Bottom