New to me Feeders and Waterers DIY

RoosterML

🥇Ukraine 🥇
5 Years
Nov 5, 2018
Tolland County Connecticut, USA
Can some please correct thread title to read Waterers and not Waters???? :he

After seeing many different setups on BYC and online here is what I am currently using and really like the results.
Waterers:
Very clean water, have not had any freezing issues using 50watt and 100 watt aquarium heater down to high teens so far.
Inside setup:
KIMG0305.jpg
KIMG0311.jpg KIMG0309.jpg
Outside setup:
KIMG0317.jpg
KIMG0314.jpg
For a feeder I was using this and was not really happy with it. Chooks were still able to knock food out onto the floor (not as bad as regular hanging feeders). Also my rooster cut his wattle on the edge. I did sand everything after drilling but must have missed some or his fat face fits snug.
Old feeder: Now removed
Effect_20181231_130238.jpg
I have two 5 Gallon feeders now:
This one uses 4" SDR sharp 90° elbows
KIMG0303.jpg
KIMG0301.jpg
This one uses 3" PVC street 90° elbows.
KIMG0318.jpg
KIMG0319.jpg
KIMG0302.jpg
The hens are the only ones using the feeder with the 3" PVC, I have not seen the roosters use it at all. Roosters are only using the feeder with the 4" SDR sharp 90° elbows. This may be an option to try for some who are looking to possibly use two different feeds for roosters and hens. It has me rethinking the whole feed situation myself. I may be able to keep some layer feed now. I know others use very similar setups, it would be interesting if others are having the same results with what size fittings they are using. Both feeders are hung at similar heights. I will update this if things change but what I have experienced so far is:
4" SDR sharp 90° elbows are used by both hens and roosters.

3" PVC Street 90° elbows are used only by hens.
I also have not noticed any food being pulled out onto the floor.

Last edited:
I like that you tried out a couple and can give your thoughts, I have always wondered how they compared. I use PVC too, but not in a bucket, if it stops the food from flying on the floor i'm in!!

I like that you tried out a couple and can give your thoughts, I have always wondered how they compared. I use PVC too, but not in a bucket, if it stops the food from flying on the floor i'm in!!
You could see them trying to pull the food out onto the floor with the old one, sometimes successful sometimes not. So far I have not seen any pellets on the floor from the 5 gallon bucket feeder. Maybe it's because their head is more confined/surrounded. I like the 5 gallon buckets to be hung, I've seen others use storage totes which would hold alot more but need to be placed on an elevated platform. Personally I perfer floor as clear as possible for easy cleaning. The 5 gallon pail works better when hung on two nails/screws supporting the flatspot of the handle better reducing the amount of movement.
Side note: its funny while the boss hen eats the hen lowest in the pecking order can sneak in to eat as they can't see each other with head stuck inside.

Last edited:
The no waste feeders with 3" elbows are all I use, they work great for me(no roosters). The 4" elbow is perfect for roosters, from what I have read on hear before, 3" does tend to be tight for them and could cause injuries to combs and wattles.

I may be able to keep some layer feed now.

There is no advantage to buying layer feed, as long as you are providing oyster shell in a separate container. A disadvantage, you would have to keep up with two different feeds being fresh.

I feed 20% non medicated starter grower all the time, with oyster shell in a separate container. I do this for two reasons, I like the 20% protein and when I add chicks, I don't have to change feeds.

Last edited:
Can some please correct thread title to read Waterers and not Waters???? :he

After seeing many different setups on BYC and online here is what I am currently using and really like the results.
Waterers:
Very clean water, have not had any freezing issues using 50watt and 100 watt aquarium heater down to high teens so far.
Inside setup:
View attachment 1629083
View attachment 1629084 View attachment 1629085
Outside setup:
View attachment 1629086
View attachment 1629087
For a feeder I was using this and was not really happy with it. Chooks were still able to knock food out onto the floor (not as bad as regular hanging feeders). Also my rooster cut his wattle on the edge. I did sand everything after drilling but must have missed some or his fat face fits snug.
Old feeder: Now removed
View attachment 1629096
I have two 5 Gallon feeders now:
This one uses 4" SDR sharp 90° elbows
View attachment 1629101
View attachment 1629102
This one uses 3" PVC street 90° elbows.
View attachment 1629103
View attachment 1629104
View attachment 1629105
The hens are the only ones using the feeder with the 3" PVC, I have not seen the roosters use it at all. Roosters are only using the feeder with the 4" SDR sharp 90° elbows. This may be an option to try for some who are looking to possibly use two different feeds for roosters and hens. It has me rethinking the whole feed situation myself. I may be able to keep some layer feed now. I know others use very similar setups, it would be interesting if others are having the same results with what size fittings they are using. Both feeders are hung at similar heights. I will update this if things change but what I have experienced so far is:
4" SDR sharp 90° elbows are used by both hens and roosters.

3" PVC Street 90° elbows are used only by hens.
I also have not noticed any food being pulled out onto the floor.

I changed the title per your request.

There is no advantage to buying layer feed, as long as you are providing oyster shell in a separate container.
I am not sold on that idea yet. There has been a change in the eggshell thickness for sure now that they are off layer feed. The shells are not nearly as hard to crack now. I switch to "all flock" by Nutrena which has slightly more calcium then the grower I was using. So I hope that helps. I do see the chooks in the oyster she'll dish more often now. Maybe it will take them alittle time to adjust everything. I'll stick with this feed for awhile and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom