New to moscovys: can they be freeranged

TopatoDuckbun

Chirping
Jun 7, 2020
I'm getting my first moscovys today. All my fowl is free-range to some extent. My ducks never go in the coop and I assume this will be the same for moscovys. My potential problem is I'm getting a flock of adult moscovys who were not raised in the area.
When I get the moscovys I plan to cut wings and keep them in the chicken coop for about a week then release them. The gate is about 5 ft (150 cm) and there is no top netting. Will they be able to jump it? Is there any secret moscovy knowledge that would be good to know? Is plural muscovy moscovys or muscovies?

I have muscovy boys and they are currently sleeping in a penned off area in a garden shed: they are all down there milling around the shed door about 25 minutes before it goes dark. They are good about going inside most of the time. But they are ducks not chickens and every now and then one leads me on a song and dance round the back yard at bed time

My muscovy drakes are too big and fat to fly. They are able to jump and two of them roost on top of a dog crate in the shed. They could climb from their roost onto all sorts of places in the shed but dont! The third muscovy is too big and fat to even jump.

When I had a muscovy female, I had to clip her wings as she was much lighter and could fly.

My boys free range in the back yard.

@TopatoDuckbun
"Is there any secret moscovy knowledge that would be good to know?"

Muscovy are lovely, friendly, comical ducks!!

Attachments

• 20220215_155826.jpg
    20220215_155826.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2177.jpg
    IMG_2177.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2190.jpg
    IMG_2190.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I've had them with wings clipped climb right up and over a 5 ft wall. Clipping wings just slows them down. As big as the drake I had was, he could fly short distances. I'd pen them in a bigger enclosure for longer than a week. They won't know you and it takes time to trust. The chance of coming back to roost after a week is slim.

I've had them with wings clipped climb right up and over a 5 ft wall. Clipping wings just slows them down. As big as the drake I had was, he could fly short distances. I'd pen them in a bigger enclosure for longer than a week. They won't know you and it takes time to trust. The chance of coming back to roost after a week is slim.
My females are great climbers, thankfully they are all older now and don't climb out of the fence any longer. so far I haven't had to clip wings this year Yet.

Back
Top Bottom