new to quail (my new quail pics)

3acres

Songster
7 Years
Jan 19, 2013
Missouri
I just got my first 6 Coturnix quail last sat. I knew nothing about them. I've learned a lot on them because of this section! Thanks!

in the cage they were sold in

I put them in a 8' by 4 ft chicken tractor type deal. It has 5 ft of open access to the ground and 3 ft up off the ground and covered areas.

I got all females come to find out.

Last tuesday I went and got 6 more. 3 males and 3 females. I put 2 males in with the 6 females I have in the chicken tractor.

I put the other male and 3 females in a 8' by 3' chick brooder.

I also got 30 hatching eggs while getting the last 6 quail and I just put them in my mini fridge incubator.

I got a blue looking one from one of the new hens.

I feel I am very much addcited to quail already....
big_smile.png
. I'm pretty much addicted to all the species of animals I have, but feel I can kind of control the numbers..I'm not sure on the quail though for some reason....
big_smile.png

I can't wait to see if any of these eggs hatch!!! Yesterday was day one. There's a couple of golden variety eggs in there for sure and "maybe" a couple of Texas A & M's.

I love watching and listening to these little things!

Last edited:
... but feel I can kind of control the numbers..I'm not sure on the quail though for some reason....
big_smile.png
Three, when I read the first part of this statement, I almost fell out of my chair from laughing... then I read the rest of that statement and came back to my senses. Quail are addictive. When I first got into quail, I promised myself that I would have no more than 12... that was 20 quail ago. Tomorrow I will be day 8 of my 4th hatch with 38 eggs in the incubator.
Nice photos, and I can recommend the book, "Coturnix Revolution", which was written by one of our members.
Good luck with your quail, welcome to our forum, oh, and don't worry about controlling the quail... this forum is sort of like, "quail hoarders", but there's no intervention.
James

Three, when I read the first part of this statement, I almost fell out of my chair from laughing... then I read the rest of that statement and came back to my senses. Quail are addictive. When I first got into quail, I promised myself that I would have no more than 12... that was 20 quail ago. Tomorrow I will be day 8 of my 4th hatch with 38 eggs in the incubator.
Nice photos, and I can recommend the book, "Coturnix Revolution", which was written by one of our members.
Good luck with your quail, welcome to our forum, oh, and don't worry about controlling the quail... this forum is sort of like, "quail hoarders", but there's no intervention.
James
lol.png

I see you must of caught the quail bug also! Good Luck with this 4th hatch of yours! I hope you get a really high hatch rate!

Thanks! I will look into that book for sure! I love to read all I can on what I am getting into! Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome! "quail hoarders"....
lol.png
. YEY for no intervention!...
lol.png
I can say without worry then that I have to go to town today for supplies. I found a place that sells 3 or 4 varieties of coturnix not far from where I have to go. So I may have a few more by the end of today....
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I was watching my group of 8 outside today. They have been really running around in there, some really trying to get out. As I was watching, heck I noticed I had 3 males in there, not 2 like I had thought. In the first group of 6 that I had gotten, there was a male in it and weren't all females like I thought. I have no idea how I missed him, because today it was plain to see????

Anyway, so I took the 2 new males out that I had put in there and have a bachelor pad now. Peace came back to the group of 6.

In my other group of 4, I have a female that is either trying to breed the other females or just kinda nasty.

I'm up to 32 now.

A couple pics of the 6 week old ones I got yesterday. I got some 3 week old ones in these colors and 2 6 week old brown ones.

I'll be working on seperating them into breeding groups now and making new pens for them all.

Beautiful quail congrats!
Thank you! I'm having a lot of fun with these quail!

I have my breeding groups seperated and all our getting along well. I'm trying to give them all as least 2 square feet of space a piece for now...my browns have 3 -4. ....and I'm working on adding enrichment type things to all their pens. I'll probably be pecking away at better pens for all as I can.

I watched what I thought was going to be a male Tibetan crow last night. The beak color thing on them seems to be true with mine so far.

I can't wait for my eggs to hatch..if they do....and my young ones are doing well. ...and I have hatching eggs coming in the mail.

Fun fun!...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom