Favorite roo:

Attachments

• 20170623_172647.jpg
    20170623_172647.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 3
We have 2 that look almost identical. "Copper" is the top of the pecking order, but not aggressive to me. "Nutmeg" seems to be second in command.

If he's a roo you want to keep try this before dropping the hatchet: I've had success with this twice but I've also failed in a couple who would not be deterred. It sounds silly but when he charges or attacks pick him up and cuddle him and baby talk him for a few minutes. A little banny roo I did that to got to where he'd run and hide whenever I came to visit. His owner said I insulted his manliness. :lau With our silkie roo he went from flogging my daughter anytime she went in the coop to being a real sweetie. He's been worth his weight in gold ever since. I mean who wouldn't want a rooster who has a quiet crow and is friendly to all? I wouldn't take anything for Perry!

I've had good luck reforming one of my Silkie roos with the pick up and cuddle' method.

Here's what I did:
Anytime he dropped his wing and shuffled at me I would scoop him up, tuck him under my arm and walk around until he calmed down. When I set him down, I'd walk behind him, making him run. I'd march him around and through his territory. It only took a few times of doing that before he got the message.

When he's flogging you - that is jumping at your legs - walk into it, forcing him to readjust every time he jumps. If you can back him into something, that will help, too. Unless he's really stubborn, he should give up after a couple of minutes. When he does, march him around.

And of course, wear heavy pants, shoes and a sweatshirt.

Unfortunately, I am having trouble correcting one of my cockerels this way. He is determined to destroy me. So correction really depends on the bird.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

I'll admit that I'm intimidated.
That's something my daughter had to work through with our roo too. (and I'm sure I had to work through it when I was young too. Except I learned dealing with cows. Much harder being confident and assertive when your opponent out weighs you by 1000lbs!)

On a funny note one roo that failed failed in a comical way. I gave up picking him up and started kicking him in the head (mean I know but I really didn't have much other choices when he was attacking me while I was carrying my baby). He got to where he'd try to flog me while holding his head back out of reach of my feet. Resulting in him comically running up to me and flopping on his side with his feet/spurs no where near me. :lol:
Though it would have been nicer if my mother had just put him up when I came to visit:he "But he was nice to her".

That's something my daughter had to work through with our roo too. (and I'm sure I had to work through it when I was young too. Except I learned dealing with cows. Much harder being confident and assertive when your opponent out weighs you by 1000lbs!)

On a funny note one roo that failed failed in a comical way. I gave up picking him up and started kicking him in the head (mean I know but I really didn't have much other choices when he was attacking me while I was carrying my baby). He got to where he'd try to flog me while holding his head back out of reach of my feet. Resulting in him comically running up to me and flopping on his side with his feet/spurs no where near me. :lol:
Though it would have been nicer if my mother had just put him up when I came to visit:he "But he was nice to her".

That is really comical. The rooster I corrected still gives my mom and my grandmother (my Mom's mom) trouble. He doesn't bother my mom too much anymore. He gives up on her after two minutes. I have to pen him up when my Grandma's around, though. He does not give up on her. She walks with a cane and has arthritis in her hips so I worry she'd fall over protecting herself.

Back
Top Bottom