New to Raising Muscovy ducks

Raftatolla

Hatching
Apr 10, 2017
I wintered two drakes and seven ducks. They are now ten months old. When can I expect to see some eggs. The drakes have recently started arguing and establishing dominance. The birds are penned through the spring as we have many eagles passing through. Do i need to prepare nest boxes, if so what size? Any other preparations?

I wintered two drakes and seven ducks. They are now ten months old. When can I expect to see some eggs. The drakes have recently started arguing and establishing dominance. The birds are penned through the spring as we have many eagles passing through. Do i need to prepare nest boxes, if so what size? Any other preparations?
Do they have a house inside the pen? Mine just make holes in their shaving and lay their eggs but they do like privacy. Mine usually start laying around 9 months of age and shortly after mating begins.

Hello we have predator birds as well. You can use a large Old fishing net to cover your pin keep the Eagles out, & yours from flying away. Or it will help if you give them some kind of a enclose house where they can be safe from predators. depending on the size of your birds you can make different size nesting boxes mine are about 15x15inch.12inch tall, my birds are about 8 to 10 pounds. there's lots of great ideas that people post here on forums. Look at feed stores and then you can just take the best ideas that you fine and put them all together to make a duck house that works for you. also your girls may not be mature enough to start laid eggs yet that's usually when they're about a year so they're probably getting getting close.best wishes good luck

They have house that is only used during extreme cold or wind. I set up feeder to entice them in but they eat then vacate.

Thank you! I'll build some nesting boxes to your specifications. Girls may not be mature enough but guys seem to be charging their way through adolescence.

Cool good luck build 1 box per duck. I have extra boxs in their house. During winter they used an extra box as the poop corner it made it easier to clean. You can use straw or saw dust I use a combo. You can just give them a Lil pile of start and they'll fix up the nests.

Back
Top Bottom