New to silkie chicks

Christina Skye

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2017
It seems our timing was off a bit. We were surprised this morning when we discovered our Mama silkie hatched a baby through the night!
Questions:
Should we separate her and her baby from the flock?
All others are now in the coop eating the baby’s food and drinking the water we placed for her.
Will the rooster (or other hens) try harming the baby?

We’ve only ever incubated our eggs. This is our first natural hatch.

I put fencing up in a corner out in the run and put the baby’s food and water in there, (I’ve never put food in coops cause of rats and mice), only the babies are small enough to go through. Just show them where it’s at. I have never separated my mama silkies from the rest of them, and never had a problem. Mama will chase off anyone that gets too close. But those are my silkies. Here is a pic of my feed area for my babies.
E973F7A0-326E-4C70-BF7C-086AFE26181C.jpeg

How well do yours get along? And do you have bigger breeds with them? Post pics of baby :jumpy

Since this morning mama has moved herself and her baby into the far corner of the coop. If I can ever get a pic I will :) as of now she and he baby have their own food inside the coop. There’s no way the baby could get in and out of it without help from human hands.
The silkies are on their own, and separated from the other breeds. (We worried since they are so small that they’d get pecked too badly)

Thanks for the info and sharing what works for you. I’ll have to mention this to my hubby so he can give them a separate area within the coop, and for the outside once they can get out on their own!

Since this morning mama has moved herself and her baby into the far corner of the coop. If I can ever get a pic I will :) as of now she and he baby have their own food inside the coop. There’s no way the baby could get in and out of it without help from human hands.
The silkies are on their own, and separated from the other breeds. (We worried since they are so small that they’d get pecked too badly)

Thanks for the info and sharing what works for you. I’ll have to mention this to my hubby so he can give them a separate area within the coop, and for the outside once they can get out on their own!
My coop that the babies are in is up off the ground. I have a ramp that works great for the babies, once you show them a couple times.
AEE853A9-B283-4868-9CF2-38CA353F7228.jpeg

Your mama will decide when she’s ready, and lead her baby out.

Back
Top Bottom