New to the Chicken World

MichyA

Songster
6 Years
Jul 30, 2017
Long Island, NY
Hello Everyone! :frow

My name is Michelle, and I'm new to the chicken world! I live on Long Island, NY. A little about me...I'm a special education preschool teacher and I have 3 children (ages: 8 weeks, 2 1/2 years, 4 1/2 years) I own 4 dogs and I dog sit. I'm quite busy...but I love children and animals...and enjoy keeping busy, so on top of everything else, I decided to get some chickens this summer. I've been researching and learning a lot... but I'm still getting used to all the chicken terminology. (pullet, comb, etc. lol)
Since it's already so late in the summer I'm starting small and so I have 5 black silkies and 1 white polish pullet. I'm still waiting to find out if my silkies are male or female...pretty sure I have one rooster in the mix. (not sure if I'd keep a rooster since I don't plan on raising baby chicks)

I'm excited to get my first egg... when could I expect one from my silkies and polish? I know they are more ornamental breeds and aren't reliable egg layers.
My husband plans on building me a larger coop in the Spring and then I'd like to get some full sized laying hens! I already have a Pinterest board with all my chicken coop designs. :ya

I'm excited to be a member of your chicken community!

Welcome to BYC! We're happy to have you join us!:welcome:wee
To prevent predator attacks, you may wish to trim around the silkies eyes, as they cannot see. They are super cute though!
A rooster serves more purposes than just baby chicks (though that is a fun, educational experiance!), such as protection. My rooster (the one in my avatar), Napoleon, attacks hawks and alerts the flock if a shadow passes above (even if it's only an airplane...or a butterfly lol!). Though some are aggressive and the cockerels can be really immature and chase the pullets.
Chickens usually begin to lay around 18 weeks, but can be earlier or later, really depending on the breed. I don't have silkies or other ornamental breeds, so I am not fully sure.
If you have any other chicken questions, feel free to ask me! :) Oh, and don't forget to post pictures of your flock, everyone here at BYC loves pictures!

Welcome to BYC! We're happy to have you join us!:welcome:wee
To prevent predator attacks, you may wish to trim around the silkies eyes, as they cannot see. They are super cute though!
A rooster serves more purposes than just baby chicks (though that is a fun, educational experiance!), such as protection. My rooster (the one in my avatar), Napoleon, attacks hawks and alerts the flock if a shadow passes above (even if it's only an airplane...or a butterfly lol!). Though some are aggressive and the cockerels can be really immature and chase the pullets.
Chickens usually begin to lay around 18 weeks, but can be earlier or later, really depending on the breed. I don't have silkies or other ornamental breeds, so I am not fully sure.
If you have any other chicken questions, feel free to ask me! :) Oh, and don't forget to post pictures of your flock, everyone here at BYC loves pictures!

I actually have a question about this....currently my silkies can see just fine bc their feathers haven't grown in yet...but my poor white polish is basically blind. She can barely see with that big poof on her head. She actually has the prettiest copper eyes under that white puff. I almost want to put it in a pony tail so she could see lol Is it possible to trim her feathers as well?

Welcome to BYC. Your birds are mostly 'for pretty' and will take longer than production birds to start laying. I have had silkies that did not start laying until 6 months. Then they laid 9 or 10 eggs and went broody. Hopefully yours will be somewhat more productive.

Here's some pictures of my flock! They are definitely "for pretty" lol I love them! I'll get better egg layers and most likely keep them separate next spring. I've read a lot about silkies and other ornamental breeds getting bullied...

I would totally keep my rooster then... I'm sad thinking about letting him go. I actually surprised myself, but I could tell all 5 of the black silkies apart.

Attachments

• 20525713_10100248344523175_3637173228016573575_n.jpg
    20525713_10100248344523175_3637173228016573575_n.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20526220_10100248344458305_2746910599393083870_n.jpg
    20526220_10100248344458305_2746910599393083870_n.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 10
  • garden.jpg
    garden.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 7
  • juicebox.jpg
    juicebox.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 7
  • lily and silkie.jpg
    lily and silkie.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 10
I actually have a question about this....currently my silkies can see just fine bc their feathers haven't grown in yet...but my poor white polish is basically blind. She can barely see with that big poof on her head. She actually has the prettiest copper eyes under that white puff. I almost want to put it in a pony tail so she could see lol Is it possible to trim her feathers as well?
yes, it is okay to trim hers. She will be much happier that way! My goodness, I'm looking at the pictures and when you said 'big poof' you really meant it! That is one poofy chicken!

Then they laid 9 or 10 eggs and went broody.
My silkies are about 8 months old. I don't know whether they ever laid before they went clucky (because they are in with others and I've no idea whose eggs are whose when they look similar)

Your girls are just gorgeous. Welcome to the forum.

Here's some pictures of my flock! They are definitely "for pretty" lol I love them! I'll get better egg layers and most likely keep them separate next spring. I've read a lot about silkies and other ornamental breeds getting bullied...

I would totally keep my rooster then... I'm sad thinking about letting him go. I actually surprised myself, but I could tell all 5 of the black silkies apart.
What adorable pictures! Does your daughter adore them?
Many people ask me about my chickens, "how do you tell them apart?" and I'm shocked because I'm thinking, "Wow! Look how different their faces are! How can you not tell?" but once you have spent a lot of time around them, they are so different! Their personalities are amazing and they all have their own quirks. Yours look alike, but I'm sure they each have their personalities.

Back
Top Bottom