New to the chicken world

LoriTufts

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2018
I have 2 runaway hens that came to live with me a few months ago however i do not know that much about chickens.
how much feed should I give a day?
Is it ok to let them go as they please? (They come home for dinner and there for breakfast lol)
Vitamins?
They are Brahma chickens, anymore info anyone can share on their breed?
What are their needs beside food, water and shelter?
Thanks everyone ☺
Have pic of them in case I am wrong on the bread
FB_IMG_1521326322154.jpg

:welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here !

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/)
It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/) Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, if you're into gardening, feel free to join this years SEED SWAP (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-swap.1220129/)

About 2 cups food per day, I use Purina layer pellets. A 3 gallon waterer will work, and you don't need to change it every day unless it is gross. Make sure they have clean bedding, straw or wood shavings are best. You could get them a scratch block- my chickens really enjoy them. Make sure to keep neosporin on hand (you never know when you'll need it). Also molasses helps if they get sick, just put a bit in there water to help perk them up. A roost is good (it keeps them out of mud and -you know what- ;))

First you need to figure if you like their arrangement or if you want to keep them. I don't know the breed but think they're Cockerels/Roosters? If the experienced can clue you in on that, and if they're Pullets/Hens and you want some eggs ...

You'll need to build a coop w/nest box & run to confine them. Feed them Flock Raiser, All Purpose, All Flock (good for all stages in life), add an separate container for Oyster Shells if females and another for grit.

Nice looking chickens! So, where are you? City, country, hills? Do you have any laws you are concerned about? If it's legal to do so, letting the chickens "free range" during the day is fine. They love that! Some places have daytime predators that can be a problem. You do need some shelter for them to keep them safe at night, when almost any place you are predators come lookin for a bite to eat. You should have at least one nest box for laying. A heat source for the coldest winter nights may be needed, but looks like not?????? Welcome here! :lol:

Well there were 6 hens to start. They came over wet, it was in the single digits and I thought they were freezing to death because one by one they were disappearing. Made a make shift shelter with a heating pad and card table, however last weekend we converted several pallets into a small coop. I never lock them up because really they're not mine but they won't go home and they greet me every morning at the back door and "knocking" on my back door when they're hungry and meet me in thfront when I get home from work.
We have 5 wooded acres with a ravine that separates our properties and I live in the country.

About 2 weeks ago other 10 hens came over with 2 roosters while I heard a 3rd cockadoodling from the neighbors, well the 2 hens that had been here chased them all off. They came back a few times but same thing, the ladies shoo'd them.

Well NOW one of their roosters has come over to stay and the girls are allowing him to stay and they are really laying eggs now!

Like I said I do not pen them up or close them up at night and they are still here and haven't gone home. I will say that when the neighbors chickens came over with the roosters they were wet, and hungry. From my house I can't see a coop at the neighbors and have a suspicion they they are only fed what they scratch up. I could be wrong, bit the neighbors havnt even come looking for their chicken. So I have Henrietta, Hagatha and now Homer lol..pics to come!

Nice looking chickens! So, where are you? City, country, hills? Do you have any laws you are concerned about? If it's legal to do so, letting the chickens "free range" during the day is fine. They love that! Some places have daytime predators that can be a problem. You do need some shelter for them to keep them safe at night, when almost any place you are predators come lookin for a bite to eat. You should have at least one nest box for laying. A heat source for the coldest winter nights may be needed, but looks like not?????? Welcome here! :lol:
I am in perry county Ohio in the country. Not too concerned about laws here being we live in the sticks. I let them come and go as they please and they seem happy and waddle running to me when I go outside is just too funny! Thank you for the welcome ☺

I'd say you have a nice little "free" flock now! You can feed them all sorts of leftovers from your kitchen, especially salad fixins. If you want to be sure to meet their nutritional needs, you may want to buy some "layer feed" for them (the rooster can eat it too!) and be sure there is plenty of clean water available for them. If you end up with too many eggs, it's a nutritious treat for the chickens to have scrambled eggs! (I know, that seems wrong, but it's not!!) Free ranging probably provides them with plenty of bugs and grit from scratching and pecking. I love your names too! Good luck, may you all live long and prosper!
:wee

I'd say you have a nice little "free" flock now! You can feed them all sorts of leftovers from your kitchen, especially salad fixins. If you want to be sure to meet their nutritional needs, you may want to buy some "layer feed" for them (the rooster can eat it too!) and be sure there is plenty of clean water available for them. If you end up with too many eggs, it's a nutritious treat for the chickens to have scrambled eggs! (I know, that seems wrong, but it's not!!) Free ranging probably provides them with plenty of bugs and grit from scratching and pecking. I love your names too! Good luck, may you all live long and prosper!
:wee
I find that rather strange...maybe they have a large flock and don't notice a few missing, or they're just (I won't say irresponsible, can't think of a better term) letting them range as they please, assuming they will eventually return, if not taken by predators.

If they were cold, wet and hungry, that doesn't say much about their keepers unless maybe they accidentally got out of their run and couldn't get back in, so they decided to go elsewhere.

They are technically "strays," but how many stray chickens does one find? Being curious myself, I would check out the nearest neighbor, especially if more hens and roosters were showing up. They belong to somebody.

Do you want to take on any (more?) chickens and mouths to feed? Yes, they are a real hoot to have around. --BB

Back
Top Bottom