New to turkeys...... What do you think?

peewee

Songster
11 Years
Sep 25, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I never had turkeys before. For some reason I have been able to pass up all the adults that I have seen (although I have been REALLY tempted by chicks over the years). I saw these birds at the farmers market this morning and just had to have them. I just love their blue color. Since I have no clue on the breeds of turkeys I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what kind they are. They are really beat up right now and the hen has some Blue Kote on her head from an attack from the other large tom that was in the same pen as these two.

16250_100_6316.jpg

16250_100_6299.jpg

16250_100_6321.jpg

16250_100_6308.jpg

Thank you all for your replies.
Are the hens not suppose to have a beard? Is that a bad thing? I know that is probably a strange question but I truly do not know.

birdaholic, Yes that is a Red Shoulder Yokohama. He is really one of the best roo's I have ever had. To bad he looks REALLY bad right now. He had a run-in with a coon one night because he absolutely would not go back into to coop. The coon pulled out 99% of all his nice beautiful long tail. Now I actually have to kick him out of the coop to get some sun. He seemed very interested in my turkey hen. Would not leave her alone.

It isn't uncommon for hens to have beards, so don't worry about that... but are you sure it's a hen? To me it looks like it could be a juvenile male. Do you have any close up pics of the head?

About 1 out of every 100 hens will have a beard. Here's my bearded girl
44102_p5010009.jpg

She has a 4" beard & is 5 years old, spends all day strutting like a tom, but is the BEST mom.
Here's a couple of pictures of my Yokohamas
44102_p4150011.jpg

44102_p4140004.jpg

sp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope that I did not end up with to toms. Like I said I know very little about turkeys and had to go by what the guy I bought them from said. For right now this is the best close up of my "hen" that I have. If this does not work I will try to get a better one.

16250_100_630833.jpg

birdaholic,
My guys tail was almost as long as the roo in your first pic. The roo in your second pic - Absolutely Fabulous!!!! Beautiful birds.

Back
Top Bottom