New to turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by nick97, Oct 9, 2014.

1. nick97

nick97 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    Hey y'all I got a turkey that I got this past weekend and its a great pleasure watching him and actually being able to pet him, nothing like my chickens.
    The thing is I do not know his/her gender by have an idea by the fan on his tail which I say I'd a male . Also I dont know variety of turkey he is.
    Your help is appreciated

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! Can you post a pic or tell me the colors of your turkey? If it's fully grown, and it probably is male because the fully grown turkey hens usually don't display and fan out that tail like the males do.

3. nick97

Feb 20, 2014
    [​IMG][/IMG]

4. nick97

Feb 20, 2014
    [​IMG]

5. mrclif

mrclif Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Alabama
    Looks like a young bourbon red, hard to tell gender from those pics. Possibly alittle young to tell gender for sure. Even my hens display sometimes.

6. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

It is a Bourbon Red, i cant tell the gender right now. Sorry.
    Where did you aquire him from??

7. I slaughter

I slaughter New Egg

Sep 7, 2014
    From this angle Female.if I can ill send you a picture of my burbons they are a little older maybe ill show you what a male looks like.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  8. nick97

Feb 20, 2014
    update: she flew the coop. Well I turned my back for two minutes to put water in the bowl and bamm she left. I've searched everywhere to no avail. Im deeply saddened. But I got her at a flea market and was very friendly.

9. I slaughter

I slaughter New Egg

Sep 7, 2014
    Now is the time to look if you had her for a week if not longer she will always come back home at night usually to roost nd sleep like they do in the wild unless she is totally lost then im sorry.

10. nick97

Feb 20, 2014
    No I only had her for four days. I just hope she's living in the area and able to feed herself.
    By I did get a clue where she might be, cause its an 8 acre brush land behind my house and while walking through we say poop that resembles that of a chicken/turkey and there are no other poultry in there only a cow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by