New Urban chicken mom here

tizzielou99

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
I live in Sunset Hills and have 3 Rhode Island Reds and 3 brown Leghorns Hens. I have been doing a lot of research on raising them without medications. They will be pinned because that is the rule of Sunset Hills but we are turning the coop and pin into a tractor so it can be moved around the yard. I am looking forward to hearing about do's and don'ts for having these little girls. I am using them for Egg production not "meat" per say. I have two neighbors that have chickens and I did not even realize one them had them! It made me laugh to find out we have a "chicken neighborhood"!
celebrate.gif
My chickens are about 3-4 weeks old right now.

Hello ! Nice to meet you ! I Good Luck with your New Urban Flock ! My Flock has not had any special needs that required medication as of yet though I am prepared and always watch for parasites worms etc.. I Am very careful of their diets .. The Tractor will help giving them opertunity to get fresh bugs and dig etc... Enjoy ! ~ Corinne

Hello and welcome from Western Kentucky. You will enjoy your chickens and now you have friends to trade with to keep your bloodlines heathy.

HI, and welcome. If you bought feed store chicks, they have already been immunized. And if you keep them fed, watered, moved around so they can dig and eat grass, they should be fine with no medications. I don't ever medicate mine - but I also view them as livestock. I just gave my Haitian friend one of my hens because she did not lay good eggs, and often broke eggs to eat for herself. I didn't need that! So she'll end up as some nice Haitian dish! I should be able to do that myself, but - well - didn't want to! I won't miss that hen, though - - - - - -

Back
Top Bottom