1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new user with question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mmchicken, Aug 18, 2013.

1. mmchicken

mmchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    I have 5 RIR that refuse to sleep in the coop. they sit on the window ledge every night and every night I pick them up and take them to the coop. What's their problem? I spent a lot of time and money and the these ungrateful birds refuse to use it. when I got my chickens I got 4 mature Buffs and 5 smaller RIR. the Buffs aren't laying and the RIR mingle with them all day, they just refuse to sleep with them. What's the problem?

2. txnative

txnative Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2013
    Kempner, Texas
    It just takes time. Can you lock them in the coop for a few days straight so they know that's home?

3. mmchicken

mmchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    I did that with all of them for the first 2weeks. Now it week 4 and those 5 are the only ones with a problem.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Just keep putting them on the roost. Chickens aren't always the brightest. It's possible the others are kicking them off the roost, so they go outside. I have to do the same when I integrate new juvenile birds. The older ones don't let them roost, so I have to put them on the roost after dark until the older hens accept them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by