New York breeders

Chicken girl 15

Songster
May 28, 2015
harpursville ny
I'm new to the chicken world but I do know I don't want hatchery stock and I can't travel 3 states away to pick up. I also know I want pure unadulterated old world breeds. I want cold hardy good laying and flavorful. Please someone point me in the proper direction.

There's a good Cochin breeder near Highland, NY. There are a lot of farm swap groups on Facebook you can join. There's a Svart Hona & Swedish Flower Hen breeder in Highland Falls, NY.

The Cochins look to be a neat breed however the kids and husband told me absolutely no way are we getting chicken that has black meat. Exact words from my 6 year old son "Ewwww are you crazy!!!".

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe you're thinking Silkies, they have black skin/meat. Cochins are a large, dual purpose bird. Google them, you'll love 'em. And tell your family to try new things, they might like it.
1f609.png

Thank you for clearing that for me. Seeing as they are just a large pretty and tasty bird I might consider them. As for black chicken, well that might take a bit of convincing but they will give it a try. I have been told it's fantastic.

Thank you for clearing that for me. Seeing as they are just a large pretty and tasty bird I might consider them. As for black chicken, well that might take a bit of convincing but they will give it a try. I have been told it's fantastic.

Lol, yeah. Ours is pretty big. She runs like she has huge saddle bags. Here she is a few months ago:

Our bantam Cochin:

Your bantam is beautiful, do they lay smaller eggs? What is the average weight at processing? I have to look at the practical uses for all breeds I get. Are bantam breeds good broodies?

Your bantam is beautiful, do they lay smaller eggs? What is the average weight at processing? I have to look at the practical uses for all breeds I get. Are bantam breeds good broodies?

Mine haven't laid yet, slow to get there, but I've heard they are good broody hens. You'd have to ask one of the exerts about that. Silkies are really good for that. We have two of those, but they have the black skin you didn't want. But let me tell you, they are the cutest little things.

Back
Top Bottom