New York mini chickenstock 2016

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by Chicken girl 15, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Chicken girl 15

Chicken girl 15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    I'm located in Harpursville and more than happy to add another to the list.

As for the x y thank you I had no idea. Not something I paid much attention to in school. I was to interested in being a typical teen and thinking I already knew it all. Lol. I have a teen now who is going through that stage.

2. DeansMill

DeansMill Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2014
    Near Albany, NY
    Lol, I grew up with an engineer father who was a professor at the college and a medical lab mother who was a science freak... I myself am a history buff who wanted to be a farm wife with lots of kids. Could you give me an idea of what part of ny you're in? My internet isn't that great, but I'm going to try looking it right now

3. DeansMill

DeansMill Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2014
    Near Albany, NY
    Oh!! Found it, cold weather makes for good phone service.. just down I88... about an hour and a half from me

4. tao chick

tao chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZW_sex-determination_system
    I think this is why they switched the letters in chickens. Boys are homozygous in poultry. Girls are homozygous in humans. X over y in human would be female over male. Xx over xy. In chickens the biys are zz and the girls are zw. So it would be z over w. Rooster over hen.

3 people like this.
  5. Chicken girl 15

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    as if chicken math wasn't confusing enough. Now on to chicken science as well. My brain was thinking eggs and meat not math and science. Oh well I'm not giving up my flock.

6. tao chick

tao chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    I like the genetics stuff. It's all pretty interesting. I just refigured some farm goals. If I break even in 2016 I'd be surprised, but my goal is self-sufficiency and profit in 2017 and beyond. The math isn't my favorite part, but the science and playing in the dirt is fun.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  7. Chicken girl 15

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    I don't like the science but the math and dirt are great. I should break even this year, as long as the husband get insurance switched or stops being such a brat about the insurance.

8. CatMom

CatMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Binghamton

I have a lavender Orp who just started crowing - literally two days ago. If you want him, he's yours. I live in Binghamton so "Bob" (big Orpington boy) needs rehomed stat!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  9. Chicken girl 15

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    give me until Monday to convince my husband that "poor Bob really needs us or he will have to be put down. He's too young for that." Lol. I have a great flock that should take him in nicely. Could you send me a pic to use for bait?

1 person likes this.
  10. CatMom

CatMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Binghamton
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by