New York mini chickenstock 2016

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by Chicken girl 15, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Chicken girl 15

Chicken girl 15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    bring a dish to pass and enjoy the day. Many that are coming are super flock owners and just being here to learn makes it worth it.

2. xpchick

xpchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2016
    NY
    Hi Chicken girl - a couple of questions for you if you don't mind. What do you mean when you say x over y?

And can you tell me about making your own pine shavings? We have a lot of pine trees that we are going to slowly be taking down. If I can put them to use possibly for shavings I'm very interested :)

Thank you!

3. Chicken girl 15

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    X= rooster
    Y= hen
    That's why x over y
    I could have made it a tad less tacky I guess but that's just me.

We have a wood chipper that we send the branches and needles through. I don't dry it in any way I just cut down the branches and shred into the coop or run . Whichever needs the bedding. I have to add to both areas because the run gets very muddy when it rains and the coop because the smell of the fresh pine is much better and much stronger than the chicken poo. I do put horse pine pellet bedding under the fresh to absorb moisture and help break things down. It all turns into a nice non stinky homemade dirt that is then added to the run then the garden as needed.

4. xpchick

xpchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2016
    NY
    That's what I assumed about the x/y - but had never seen it written that way before. lol Thanks!

Isn't the pine sticky at all with it not being dried? With my allergies I probably couldn't handle that now that I think of it, but I'll have to keep it in mind. Thanks!

5. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    If you are interested in chicken genetics there is a really informative and simple blog on www.scratchcradle.wordpress.com even I can understand it and I really struggle with understanding genetics -[​IMG]

6. Chicken girl 15

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    no its not sticky at all. As for the alergen part, I'm allergic to literally EVERYTHING , including pine, and I'm not sure why but the fresh bothers me less than the shredded dried stuff. Plus the fresh absorbs the smell better than the dried. It still has all its microbes and things. I guess.

7. baunlee

baunlee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2014
    Western New York
    hey speaking of fresh shavings, I was reading this blog about chronic lyme and one of the authors said that she got it from a bed of fresh shavings and that ticks are especially drawn to fresh shavings.

8. Chicken girl 15

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    I dare tick one to enter my coop riding on the shavings. My flock thinks they are a great snack.

9. DeansMill

DeansMill Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2014
    Near Albany, NY
    Where are you located? I am very interested in attending with my two year old son. I doubt I'd gave anything to bring other than the pot luck, but I AM interested in getting a few more needs in my coop.
    By the by, X should be hen and Y should be rooster. Lol. My mother is a cytogeneticist...

1 person likes this.
  10. DeansMill

DeansMill Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2014
    Near Albany, NY
    Oh, this phone!!! I doubt I'd HAVE anything.... I want a few more BREEDS...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by