New York mini chickenstock 2016

A couple years ago when chickenstock was at tab's house, in the raffle was a whole table of hatching eggs donated by various members. It was pretty awesome and lots of fun. Let's make that a goal for this year? I can start by donating a dozen spitz eggs of various colors and a half dozen Cemani eggs to the raffle table. I believe any money collected from the raffle table went to cover the porta-john and any other expenses accrued by the hosts.

A couple years ago when chickenstock was at tab's house, in the raffle was a whole table of hatching eggs donated by various members. It was pretty awesome and lots of fun. Let's make that a goal for this year? I can start by donating a dozen spitz eggs of various colors and a half dozen Cemani eggs to the raffle table. I believe any money collected from the raffle table went to cover the porta-john and any other expenses accrued by the hosts.

That was great year - and I somehow went home with half the eggs! But I won't be at this one so don't worry about that happening again :p I literally had to buy an incubator on the way home because I won that many eggs, and I still had to double stack both incubators. Though I may send Metella with some money to enter the raffle for me. If I do I'll send along some eggs of my own to put in the raffle, probably frizzle eggs.

That was great year - and I somehow went home with half the eggs! But I won't be at this one so don't worry about that happening again :p I literally had to buy an incubator on the way home because I won that many eggs, and I still had to double stack both incubators. Though I may send Metella with some money to enter the raffle for me. If I do I'll send along some eggs of my own to put in the raffle, probably frizzle eggs.
now wait a minute! !! Frizzle eggs too!!! Are the good layers, brown eggs? This chicken stuff is going to make me crazy. I know I need all good layers, but there are so many pretty hens I want them all.

Last edited:
]now wait a minute! !! Frizzle eggs too!!! Are the good layers, brown eggs? This chicken stuff is going to make me crazy. I know I need all good layers, but there are so many pretty hens I want them all.

Fairly good :) They should all lay either green or olive eggs too, maybe dark brown, I need to split them out to see what color they're laying. I also might do a pen of my frizzle rooster over some of my best laying hens so those would be great layers. Here's Leo when he was younger:

And one of the frizzle girls when she a pullet:

Also for clarity, Leo will NOT be over the frizzle girls - no frazzles here!

Fairly good :) They should all lay either green or olive eggs too, maybe dark brown, I need to split them out to see what color they're laying. I also might do a pen of my frizzle rooster over some of my best laying hens so those would be great layers. Here's Leo when he was younger:

And one of the frizzle girls when she a pullet:

Ok so what is a frazzle? Now you're confusing me.

Ok so what is a frazzle? Now you're confusing me.

Sorry! A frazzle is what can happen if you breed two frizzles together and the chick gets two copies of the frizzle gene. It causes brittle, sparse feathers and other problems. So Leo will be put over hens that aren't frizzled and the pullets will be under a rooster that isn't frizzled to avoid this.

Edit: Lap beat me to it :)

Last edited:
Planning to attend the Chickenstock if all goes well. Will bring something edible-don't know what yet. Hoping to have some bantam Mille Fleur/Calico Cochin chicks with me. They will be 3 weeks old by the 28th and if I can bring myself to part with any of them will be available as straight run for 10.00 each. Hoping to be there health permitting.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom