New York mini chickenstock 2016

At what point does a hobby chicken farm become an obsession? Tomorrow morning I'm setting 40 more eggs. So that will make 40 birds and 81 eggs cooking. Yes I have safe and proper accommodation for them all and yes I can afford to feed them all.

I'm no one to judge. Current population here is somewhere around 65-70, but still the bator & broodies are incubating another 40 eggs and just received 6 more pea eggs. Eyeing another auction as well. Think it's an illness or an addiction or something. What's wrong w me?

Of the post-chickenstock eggs set, 21 of 24 are developing. Only 1 of the 3 not developing was an egg that sat thru that heat. Quite a few that did spend that sweltering day w us are cooking along like nothin.

I'm no one to judge. Current population here is somewhere around 65-70, but still the bator & broodies are incubating another 40 eggs and just received 6 more pea eggs. Eyeing another auction as well. Think it's an illness or an addiction or something. What's wrong w me?

Of the post-chickenstock eggs set, 21 of 24 are developing. Only 1 of the 3 not developing was an egg that sat thru that heat. Quite a few that did spend that sweltering day w us are cooking along like nothin.

Do you have peafowl besides the eggs? I just had two peachicks hatch today :)

Do you have peafowl besides the eggs? I just had two peachicks hatch today :)

Congrats!! I had 3 chicks hatch in the past 2 weeks. 3 more eggs in the hatcher, but those are not showing much promise. I can't believe how adorable pea chicks are. No one warned me, lol. Love their eyeliner and their calm demeanor and how they look at you when u peak in on them. Their vocalizations, too, ugh. Super cute!! My DH is not pleased that I'd like to hang onto a few peas. Working on him tho.

Congrats!! I had 3 chicks hatch in the past 2 weeks. 3 more eggs in the hatcher, but those are not showing much promise. I can't believe how adorable pea chicks are. No one warned me, lol. Love their eyeliner and their calm demeanor and how they look at you when u peak in on them. Their vocalizations, too, ugh. Super cute!! My DH is not pleased that I'd like to hang onto a few peas. Working on him tho.

Thanks! I'm hoping my two will turn out to be either two hens or a pair - really don't want two noisy boys and no girls, lol. They're India Blue so hopefully I'll know in four weeks :)

How do u tell boys from girls? Does the feather pattern change at 4 weeks?

From what I've read at four to five weeks you can tell them apart because males will get in wing feathers that are the color of burnt sienna and females will not. Also there's a way to tell by the barring. That's for IBs though, not sure about other varieties. Take this with a grain of salt though - I've never had them before so I can't say if this is true, lol.

Last edited:
Candled my eggs again last night, pulled 4 more. Very early quitters or blood rings. 37 left. Anybody want to buy some chicks? :D Not even certain what breeds are in there anymore lol

sadly there is no cure for what we have, and even worse it's highly contagious. I have passed the illness on to 4 others.

Girlie is unique. I think she has been in her own world apart from the flock that she lost the instinct to stick with chickens. When the littles move in she might like hanging out with them. I have four of Mojo's winter love offspring. The combination of his spangle and my legbars barring has turned into a mottled EE cockerel with a tiny comb.

Back
Top Bottom