Newb from Western Australia

SlyDog

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2017
Dunsborough, Western Australia
Hello, I've been reading threads here for a few months now, and decided to join and get in on the discussions.

I've recently started keeping pet chickens and started off with 2 older bantams (Thelma & Louise) who came with the second hand coop I bought. They're gorgeous girls, but don't lay so I bought another bantam silky (Milly) who layed for about a month, and then decided to brood. It wasn't a great start to my chicken egg journey, so I thought, why not get a full size chicken! I found a nice Australorp pullet and after being dicked around by the seller he kindly gave me 4 fertile eggs when I finally got to pick her up (Tilly). Milly was still broody so she got sit on 3 full size eggs and one bantam. 21 days later and I now have Lilly, Maggie, Verna and the bantam is Mona. Mona came out a day late and seemed odd from the get go. Turns out she has no eyes at all, and is very stunted in her growth. Where the other 3 have thrived, Mona has grown very little and still fits in my hand at 8 weeks of age.

Mamma Milly has taken very good care of them all and still does, but has started to wander now, which isn't so good for Mona. I have been taking extra care of her - put a tray of pellets down and plop her in the middle, keep a small water dish in the same spot so she can find it and put her in and out of the hutch most days. I have so far kept the older girls separate during the day, but they all sleep together at night. I have to make sure Milly and the babies are settled, and Mona safe with them before letting the older ladies in or they will peck at Mona who is unable to figure out where to get away from them. I am worried that Mona won't grow any bigger and therefore not be able to mix with the others, and with our winter approaching she's not big enough to keep herself warm. It doesn't snow here, or get into the minuses, but it does get very wet and windy.

I do have a small burkes parrot, about the size of a budgie, in a large cage - do you think Mona could live on the ground of the cage while the parrot stays to the perches?

I also have 4 dogs so there's no way she can be an inside chicken without risk of being chomped.

Any advice to this newb? BTW - I won't cull her, she's happy and healthy as far as I can tell. Just a blind runt :)

I also can't tell what breed she is - any ideas? I thought perhaps a speckled sussex?

Thanks - I'll check out the Aussie page ;-)
As for predators, I have enclosed the run and coop as we have foxes, hawks, possums etc.... They only free range in my small yard when I'm home and lay on the lawn with them.

Silkies do make great broodies. . Sometimes another chick will befriend a disabled one, and help them around., or an older hen. But you can't count on it. I wonder if she could have a very small coop(box) inside the coop to be in, and a small fenced off part of the run so the other chicks won't harm her. If food and water for her are always in the same place she will eventually be able to find them.

I wonder if you post on "Australia, six states and one funny little Island." if maybe some would offer to have her as a house chicken (with no dogs or cats)

Greetings, slydog, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! Looks like CTKen gave you some great links so I will just say best wishes and thank you for joining BYC!

Howdy neighbour
frow.gif
Welcome!

I said Hello on the Aussie Thread but I thought I would make it official.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom