Newbie Alert

Welcome to Backyard Chickens a great place to hang out
You really cannot treat every day Please fat birds will not lay
I guess I should clarify by treats haha all natural things like fresh zucchini, sugar snap peas, watermelon, fresh romaine lettuce-things like that. I am hot and humid Oklahoma so i try and give them a handful of things like this every day to help keep them cool too. But yes thank you for the tip!

I guess I should clarify by treats haha all natural things like fresh zucchini, sugar snap peas, watermelon, fresh romaine lettuce-things like that. I am hot and humid Oklahoma so i try and give them a handful of things like this every day to help keep them cool too. But yes thank you for the tip!
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
But these are all still treats that are diluting their proper nutrient balance from a complete feed. Particularly, the protein.
To help keep them cool, freeze a large container (a gallon minimum) of water then pop it out into a shallow plastic pan and let it slowly melt. The chickens will drink the cold water and wade in it to keep cool. I also place a floor fan in my run.

@BackyardBarnyardBrittany - A big ole' friendly welcome to the BYC flock. We're so happy to have you, and can't wait to hear all about your adventures as a new chicken keeper and see lots of photos of them. (P.S. Love your profile picture- did you paint that?)

welcomeface.png

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
But these are all still treats that are diluting their proper nutrient balance from a complete feed. Particularly, the protein.
To help keep them cool, freeze a large container (a gallon minimum) of water then pop it out into a shallow plastic pan and let it slowly melt. The chickens will drink the cold water and wade in it to keep cool. I also place a floor fan in my run.
Oh thank you guys i didnt realize these were considered treats. Thank you for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom