Newbie delux! Mating?

Chickenberry

Songster
9 Years
Oct 1, 2010
SE OK ~ Farris/Antlers
hide.gif
Before I start, let me reiderate again that I'm a noob!
tongue2.gif
Everything I've learned about chickens, I've learned here... and it's been quite a lot already thanks to you all!

Now, having said that....

How do chickens mate? *crickets*

Yes, I did... I asked the question...
idunno.gif

Last night as we were letting our chickens free range in the backyard with our new roo we saw him try to mate (successfully?) one of the hens. She sort of squatted, he got on her back and maybe grabbed some of her feathers in his beak, there were tails going everywhere and some "dancing." I'm assuming they were mating.

But, the real question is... how? How does it work? How does the roo accomplish putting sperm into the hen? Again.. sorry if too graphic.

Last edited:
Chickens share a "cloacal kiss" in which both of their cloacas (common whole where everything comes out) touch each other and the sperm is transferred to the hen at this time. There is no penetration like there is in other animals. Hope this helps.
big_smile.png

Quote:
What Kelly said (and glad it wasn't me that had to say it
tongue.png
). Chicken matings take literally FIVE seconds. It's a wham, bam, thank ya ma'am kinda thing.
lol.png

Quote:
What Kelly said (and glad it wasn't me that had to say it
tongue.png
). Chicken matings take literally FIVE seconds. It's a wham, bam, thank ya ma'am kinda thing.
lol.png

lau.gif

I have one that is very gentle but quick, then I have a roo that likes to take his time, while he takes a mouthful of feathers
tongue.png
I always look away haha
smile.png

Quote:
I do the same. And I walk through him, not around him. He yields to me.

I dont mess with mating, but I also will "scootch" my roosters with my foot, if they are in the way, and will pick them up so they know I'm the mama
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom