Newbie flock coming soon in Colorado

Thanks for the welcome! Located in SE Aurora.
Welcome. I am just on the N side of the airport. Don't over build your coop for winter. For the most part, chickens have no problem with our weather and will spend most of the time outside.
When you're ready for chicks, look into Feeder Supply up in FC. They carry chicks year round and usually have a super selection. Late in the season it's not uncommon for them to have 3-4 week old pullets so the hard part is done and cockerels can more easily be identified. I'll typically start chicks in Jan-Feb and go directly to the barn. They are laying by June.
My garden has been a disappointment too this year. I'm going to add a shade structure for next year. The sun was just brutal!

Last edited:
Since I have struck out locating an affordable country home I’m going to make do in suburbia. Though we have an HOA they do allow up to 6 hens so that’s pretty cool considering other neighborhoods don’t allow any. I typically have a garden no matter what country I’m living in (Military Vet, former military brat), this year was unusual, the garden didn’t produce as much as years past. I have always wanted a hobby farm, when getting out of the military I tried to persuade DH to move to the country, he’s a creature of habit and convenience so here we are. Thankfully, he’s finally come around and we are getting a coop next weekend, working on getting the girls thereafter. I have never raised my own chickens so this is a new adventure. I’m eager to learn the right way and try to avoid the common rookie pitfalls… there will be some but I hope to minimize them by learning from you all. Colorado chicken folks, our climate interesting your insight will be a valuable resource. Thanks for bearing with me as I start this new adventure. :)
Welcome here . First and foremost thank you for your service. I am right next door in SW Neb .and grew up in Denver, so know your climate well. What kind of coop dear cause the "farm store" prefab are notoriously too small and flimsy. Better to get a used shed off of CL or offer up, and modify for birds.ive only have my flock for 2 years and learned so much here.
1. Chickens do better in cold than you'd think as they are wearing down parkas with all those feathers.
2. Go bigger on coop and run so nobody's squished and that helps behavior and health issues.
3 Read articles on here and you will learn about coops, ventilation, roosts, etc. Ask anything we are all here to help.
Enjoy your new journey and no one had a good garden this year!

Since I have struck out locating an affordable country home I’m going to make do in suburbia. Though we have an HOA they do allow up to 6 hens so that’s pretty cool considering other neighborhoods don’t allow any. I typically have a garden no matter what country I’m living in (Military Vet, former military brat), this year was unusual, the garden didn’t produce as much as years past. I have always wanted a hobby farm, when getting out of the military I tried to persuade DH to move to the country, he’s a creature of habit and convenience so here we are. Thankfully, he’s finally come around and we are getting a coop next weekend, working on getting the girls thereafter. I have never raised my own chickens so this is a new adventure. I’m eager to learn the right way and try to avoid the common rookie pitfalls… there will be some but I hope to minimize them by learning from you all. Colorado chicken folks, our climate interesting your insight will be a valuable resource. Thanks for bearing with me as I start this new adventure. :)
Hello :)

I'm so pleased you are sharing your new adventure with us and I wish you every success with your chickens.

:welcome

Back
Top Bottom