1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie here with some questions....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BeckyBuz, May 13, 2008.

1. BeckyBuz

BeckyBuz New Egg

May 13, 2008
    Hi, I've been reading posts and learning so much from all of you. This is my first time raising chickens so please excuse me if I ask some "DUH" things.

I got my first chicks back in March, 5 Buffs and 3 R-Reds, they are doing great! Except for the rooster who has a crossed beak but he isn't long for this world anyway... (sorry) I didn't want any roosters.

I had to wait for my four Ameraucanas because they were all out. Consiquently they are 5 weeks younger than the first group.

I introduced them today and the size difference is amazing! Because the Ameraucans are so small and fast that made the bigger girls chase and attack them, one even had her tail plucked pretty bad. (Buffs and Reds are 10 weeks, Ameraucanas are 5 weeks)

So, my question is... do I keep introducing them or just wait until the 5 weekers are much larger? [​IMG]
    Need some advice....

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    If there is some way you can split your brooder in half with wire so that you can keep the birds separate, but they can still see each other?
    That way they can't hurt each other while they get used to the company. Then after about a week or two you should be able to mix them...
    Someone else may have another suggestion, but that's what I've been doing.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by