Newbie in Homer, Alaska

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hozer, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Hozer

Hozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Homer, Alaska
    We're still frozen up here. Don' have my coop up yet. Still in the planning stage.

I know from talking to others that I don' want my wife to have to walk through poop to water, feed, and pick eggs and will design with that in mind. I work on the oilfield and need her on board. Don't want to burn her out. Also plan on partitioning the coop into two with one side for brooding, picked on birds, breeding, etc.

My plan is to do a few breeds well. Ordered Welsummers, Ameracaunas and Marans. For later in the spring.

Looking for quality golden laced cochin bantams. Any help would be appreciated.

Google up Homer, Alaska if you are curious. Picture Vermont by the ocean...rare mixture of agriculture and ocean. Not as cold as you would think...we even have a large population of wild ringneck pheasants.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Welcome... wow, I would think it would be too cold for ring necks to make it through the winter there.

Amazing. Learn something new everyday.

Off to google earth Homer, AK

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Glad to have you with us WELCOME!!!

AL

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] ffrom TN

5. Hozer

Feb 14, 2009
    Homer, Alaska
    Thanks for the welcome. Those ringnecks are pretty tough birds, eh.

Up here we have some unusual conditions.

My neighbor lost 2 hens last month to a bald eagle!!!!!!

It was sitting in a tree eyeballing their turkey, but must have thought it was a little too big.

No problems with small predators like raccoons, possums, foxes, etc. Mostly eagles and dogs.

I'd post some pictures if I knew how.

6. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    [​IMG] Homer Alaska, a quaint little drinking town with a fishing problem! Welcome, were just up the road in Sterling.

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

8. Hozer

Feb 14, 2009
    Homer, Alaska
    Quote:Thanks for the welcome. I don't have to explain anything to you.

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Hey Hozer! Hows it goin? [​IMG] We are pretty icey here too right now. We had a few days a couple weeks ago, seems like ages, that were nice. That town sounds really familiar. Is there a TV show that is based from Homer? Hm. There are some people in Alaska on here that have some nice coops. Hopefully you can see some pics of them to get ideas. They use lots of insulation [​IMG] I use a fair amount myself! There are also some people that raise gold laced banty cochins.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Gosh your a great husband !!I wish my hubby would be soooo concerned...hee hee hee!!! . Welcome to ByC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by