Newbie in Homer, Alaska

Hozer

Songster
13 Years
Feb 14, 2009
Homer, Alaska
We're still frozen up here. Don' have my coop up yet. Still in the planning stage.

I know from talking to others that I don' want my wife to have to walk through poop to water, feed, and pick eggs and will design with that in mind. I work on the oilfield and need her on board. Don't want to burn her out. Also plan on partitioning the coop into two with one side for brooding, picked on birds, breeding, etc.

My plan is to do a few breeds well. Ordered Welsummers, Ameracaunas and Marans. For later in the spring.

Looking for quality golden laced cochin bantams. Any help would be appreciated.

Google up Homer, Alaska if you are curious. Picture Vermont by the ocean...rare mixture of agriculture and ocean. Not as cold as you would think...we even have a large population of wild ringneck pheasants.

Welcome... wow, I would think it would be too cold for ring necks to make it through the winter there.

Amazing. Learn something new everyday.

Off to google earth Homer, AK

welcome-byc.gif
ffrom TN

Thanks for the welcome. Those ringnecks are pretty tough birds, eh.

Up here we have some unusual conditions.

My neighbor lost 2 hens last month to a bald eagle!!!!!!

It was sitting in a tree eyeballing their turkey, but must have thought it was a little too big.

No problems with small predators like raccoons, possums, foxes, etc. Mostly eagles and dogs.

I'd post some pictures if I knew how.

Hey Hozer! Hows it goin?
big_smile.png
We are pretty icey here too right now. We had a few days a couple weeks ago, seems like ages, that were nice. That town sounds really familiar. Is there a TV show that is based from Homer? Hm. There are some people in Alaska on here that have some nice coops. Hopefully you can see some pics of them to get ideas. They use lots of insulation
wink.png
I use a fair amount myself! There are also some people that raise gold laced banty cochins.

welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom