Newbie Intro

Is straight sand safe for young chicks to eat?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Here is the best option

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TanisGirl

Chirping
Jul 6, 2018
Hi! My name is Tanis. I’m new at raising chickens. I live in Central Oregon. We have 26 week old layers and we just got 32 recalls silkies one bath, one blue, and black. The two recalls have been a bit of a challenge. The blue doesn’t seem like she’s doing very well. I’m not sure if it’s just from the transition to a new home or something else. She does it she does drink that for the most part she just hangs out in the corner by herself with her head down. But, my question more than anything at the moment is: I put a little teeny tiny box of just sand into their router and instead of believing in it like I was under the impression they would, they are scratching and packing at it and looks like they’re kind of eating it. Is that OK? The black one just want to sleep in it.

Yes, they may need grit to digest their food. As long as they know where their food is, I wouldn't worry about it. You may want to give them some Nutri-drench to given them a boost from the stress of moving. Keep an eye on the blue, and if she worsens over the next couple of days, post a thread in the Emergencies/Diseases/Cures forum.
Welcome to BYC! I hope you enjoy the amazing community here!

:woot"free grit! Boo-yah!":yesss:
balloons.gif pow copy.gif balloons.gif

Hi! My name is Tanis. I’m new at raising chickens. I live in Central Oregon. We have 26 week old layers and we just got 32 recalls silkies one bath, one blue, and black. The two recalls have been a bit of a challenge. The blue doesn’t seem like she’s doing very well. I’m not sure if it’s just from the transition to a new home or something else. She does it she does drink that for the most part she just hangs out in the corner by herself with her head down. But, my question more than anything at the moment is: I put a little teeny tiny box of just sand into their router and instead of believing in it like I was under the impression they would, they are scratching and packing at it and looks like they’re kind of eating it. Is that OK? The black one just want to sleep in it.
it may be that she has vitamin & electrolyte deficiency the symptoms are lack of energy, lying down in the brooder with legs extended,and-or having a twisted or wry neck, electrolytes are readily available at feed stores or on line the electrolyte go in their water make sure you reed the instructions.the chick may not feel like eating or drinking so you might need to syringe feed her i don't think the chick can die from this illnes and:welcome

Back
Top Bottom