newbie needs help

internationalfarmer

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 25, 2007
hagerstown,maryland
Hello,
i am new to the chicken world i plan on getting chicks this month. could somebody please help me on the stuff i need. i know i need a brooder.what materials should i use? i also know i need a coop and run.and i could use a checklist to.thanks for your help

sam

wee.gif
Welcome to the chicken insanity;)
What you would need for your chicks really depends on how many you're planning on getting, and where you plan on keeping them.
Their new home needs to protect them from drafts, provide heat ( and a place to 'cool down' if they get too warm), give access to clean water and fresh feed. You would probably prefer some thing that's easy to clean. A big cardboard, a plastic tote, a wire cage wrapped in blankets/towels, ect. It's not real important as to what they're in as long as it serves the purpose.
Choose a bedding that your chicks can keep their feet (no shippery/flat surfaces, ie flattened newspaper) I like to use hay, alot of people seem to like wood shavings....Bear in mind that the chicks Will peck at it........
Good luck with the babies.

Welcome to BYC!

When you first get your chicks they need a brooder with a heat source (usually a heat lamp). The temps for a day old chick should be about 95 degrees and have room to move away from the heat if they get hot. If they are all crowding under the lamp they are to cold. Each week after that you can back the temp off by about 5 degrees a week.

For bedding something none slippery. Most use wood shavings (not cedar) due to the great absorbancy. But cover it with paper towels, not slip mats, or something similar the first few days so they learn to eat their food and not the shavings. Eating shavings instead of food will cause problems.

Feed a chick starter appropriate for the type of chicks your getting. i.e.-chicken, turkey, meat chicken, etc. And of course they need water. Lots of TLC doesn't hurt any either.

Good luck!

Welcome to the world of chickens! I am new as well! I got my first 4 chickens Saturday night, built the coop Sunday and picked up stuff to make a brooder and 4 chicks today!! They really ARE addictive! (I didn't really believe the warnings!!)

This is my list (that I have gathered from this site:
Chick Stuff:
Chick starter
Grit
Chick feeder
Chick waterer
Shavings (pine are good NO cedar)
Hangable lamp w/ 100 watt bulb (red is great, but white will work)
Brooder (anything can work...currently using a 1foot by 2 foot bankers box...will get a large rubbermaid tub on Sat.)
TLC
Big Chick Stuff
Coop with atleast 4 sq ft per bird
Nest box(es) - 1 to 4 hens (I think that's the right ratio)
Run (not sure measurements as mine are free range)
Layer Pellet (if you have hens for eggs)
Pine Shavings
Diatomaceous Earth (DE) good pest deterrent
Scratch grains
TLC

I know others will add what else I may have forgotten!!

Sarah

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom