Newbie question regarding sex link chickens

sherwoodchicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 27, 2013
Southern California
I have what is probably a dumb question on sex link chickens. I've read a little bit about them. My understanding is that they have different coloring at birth so that you can easily tell the girls from the boys. If my local feed store has a number of 2 week old black sex link chickens (they are all black, I've looked at them) and they have been sexed (so they are supposed to be pullets) does that mean my risk on getting a rooster is essentially zero if I get one of these black sex link chicks? Can I be pretty much assured these have to be pullets?

I am so worried about picking new chicks right now so I'm probably over-thinking this. My husband and I got our first chicks in April. Out of four chicks, all of which were supposed to be sexed, we ended up with two Roo's that we have to re-home. I'm trying to find a fool proof way to get pullets only to replace them. Any advice is appreciated!!

With Black sex links, look for a head spot.

Males have them and females do not. I think if you are informed, you'll be able to easily choose all pullets, even if the hatchery slipped a few cockerels in there or if the feed store employees made a "put back" mistake, which they do, you'll get what you want.

Just remember. For pullets. NO headspot.

If they are truly black sex links, yes, that is as fool-proof as you can get.

The risk comes in from the human factor. Has some human somewhere along the way messed up and put Black Australorps or Black Jersey Giants or something else black in there instead of sex links? I can’t give you 100% guarantee because of the human factor, but it’s as good as you are going to get unless you buy point of lay pullets.

Thank you!! Question - they are over a little more than two weeks old. At that age, would males still have the head spot and the females would not? I know that baby chicks change quickly so I wasn't sure if the head spot only applied to new born chicks?

thank you again!!

Back
Top Bottom