newbie question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chookladynz, Dec 27, 2014.

1. chookladynz

chookladynz New Egg

Dec 27, 2014
    Hi I have a question about unhatched eggs, I placed 5 eggs under my broody chook 24 days ago for the first time, to the delight and surprise of my family we found 3 little chooks on day 19, (the eggs came from a friend with a farm, who collected me a selection) there are two eggs left now 24 days, mum is still sitting on them while also caring for chicks, I am reluctant to remove them just in case they are still alive.
    do you think there is there a risk in leaving them a bit longer? it is a very hot New Zealand Summer and I am a little concerned if they are not alive that they will soon be rotten.
    Any advice would be much appreciated [​IMG]
    thank you

2. KittyKat3756

KittyKat3756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2014
    Norfolk, UK
    Have you thought about candling them to check? At that age, you should be able to see heartbeats and more than likely movement if there is anything going on there.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome @chookladynz

Glad you could join the flock! X2 candling the eggs would now be your best option to see what is going on in them. It's a big difference day 19 to day 24. If there is nothing happening with the eggs I would remove them from the nest so that mum can get on with caring for the hatched chicks that she has.

Wishing you the very best of luck :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by