Newbie to Broody 🙋🏻‍♀️

TheMrsChick

Chirping
May 1, 2021
Hey!
out of our flock of 15, one little lady (she’s either a blue Plymouth Rock or an Olive Egger, I still can’t tell the difference. Feel free to enlighten me!) and she’s 5 months old. She *might* have started laying eggs just recently but there are 12 others that I’m trying to keep up with, as well, so don’t quote me as gospel on that - also worth noting, if she’s laid an egg I haven’t the slightest clue what color or size it is. Anywho… she has suddenly gone broody, which I’ve read happens all the time. She’s not hostile or aggressive at all if we reach in and under her at all, but she has no interest of moving. I’m not super worried about it (there hasn’t been a reason to yet) although we are in west Texas and to say “it gets hot” here would be a massive understatement. So, I’m just looking for direction on what to do/not to do and when to do/not do whatever the things are/aren’t. Clear as mud? 94B02282-A737-4F3A-8838-97A398A73425.jpeg EE518C2F-F242-43E6-A856-AA5C33E71F58.jpeg

Hey!
out of our flock of 15, one little lady (she’s either a blue Plymouth Rock or an Olive Egger, I still can’t tell the difference. Feel free to enlighten me!) and she’s 5 months old. She *might* have started laying eggs just recently but there are 12 others that I’m trying to keep up with, as well, so don’t quote me as gospel on that - also worth noting, if she’s laid an egg I haven’t the slightest clue what color or size it is. Anywho… she has suddenly gone broody, which I’ve read happens all the time. She’s not hostile or aggressive at all if we reach in and under her at all, but she has no interest of moving. I’m not super worried about it (there hasn’t been a reason to yet) although we are in west Texas and to say “it gets hot” here would be a massive understatement. So, I’m just looking for direction on what to do/not to do and when to do/not do whatever the things are/aren’t. Clear as mud? View attachment 2784605View attachment 2784606
I have had so many young mommas like this!

First of all: Do you plan to let her hatch them?

We are perfectly fine with her hatching them! If she is, in fact, sitting on actual live eggs 🤷🏻‍♀️ then sure!
Okay, good, thank you!
So, do you have a rooster with the hens?
(If there is an active rooster) A way to check if eggs are fertile is to crack one open, and if there is a white bullseye mark, with two rings, it is fertile!

We are perfectly fine with her hatching them! If she is, in fact, sitting on actual live eggs 🤷🏻‍♀️ then sure!
(Sorry if you know this)
As long as she constantly sits on the fertile eggs for 3 weeks, a chick will develop. After about a week of dedicated sitting, you will know it is working if you see veining through the shell, (Via candling, holding a flashlight on the pointed end of the egg) and a black spot, the embryo.

Okay, good, thank you!
So, do you have a rooster with the hens?
(If there is an active rooster) A way to check if eggs are fertile is to crack one open, and if there is a white bullseye mark, with two rings, it is fertile!
Really?! I had no idea that was a way. Yes, rooster is very active with his lovelies. 🙃 I’ll have to go get any (not fake) eggs out from under her and have a little look see!

(Sorry if you know this)
As long as she constantly sits on the fertile eggs for 3 weeks, a chick will develop. After about a week of dedicated sitting, you will know it is working if you see veining through the shell, (Via candling, holding a flashlight on the pointed end of the egg) and a black spot, the embryo.
Not to worry… it’s best for everyone if it’s assumed I know nothing! 😂 I know just a smidge more than nothing. Thanks so much, that’s very helpful! Do I need to move her out so she’ll eat, drink, poop and be merry? Or she’ll do that on her own?

Really?! I had no idea that was a way. Yes, rooster is very active with his lovelies. 🙃 I’ll have to go get any (not fake) eggs out from under her and have a little look see!
I check mine I cook every now and then.
That's great to hear! Aren't they all....;)
Good luck!

(By the way, even if an egg has the bullseye mark, meaning it is fertile, that doesn't mean you can't eat it, just as long as she hasn't sat on it for days.):)

Not to worry… it’s best for everyone if it’s assumed I know nothing! 😂 I know just a smidge more than nothing. Thanks so much, that’s very helpful! Do I need to move her out so she’ll eat, drink, poop and be merry? Or she’ll do that on her own?
We usually separate our broodies once the three weeks are almost up, but before that, she will take care of them, and if someone else sits on them, which is very common, just kick her off and let mama back on!
She will go out and do her chicken business on her own, they are very smart.

(I currently have around 5 right now, but none are gonna hatch anything though)

Back
Top Bottom