Newbie to forum - MITES?!

does permethrin come in a powder form for use during the winter months?
Very good question! And yes, it does! Here are two of the many brands:
dust_2.jpg dust_1.jpg

Very good question! And yes, it does! Here are two of the many brands:
View attachment 1187522 View attachment 1187523
thank you! I currently have a fairly light problem with northern fowl mites, I fortunately caught it fairly quickly. I cleaned the coop thoroughly on Saturday by washing the walls, nesting boxes and roosts with warm soapy water, and I really just wanted to be rid of the buggers so I dusted my birds with dominion dusting powder, a 5% carbaryl powder available here in canada. But.....I came in from the coop this morning and had a mite on me! The dominion powder says to use only once every 4 weeks, so I'm at a loss as to what to do as obviously I had killed the adults, but the eggs have hatched and now I'm not sure what to use to kill the next generation that is hatching. Could I use another type of chemical so soon? Any ideas? I was also considering using wood ash since we have a wood burning fire place, but I'm not the type to handle my birds very much, they don't seem to like it, so I leave them alone for the most part, and I'm assuming to do a more natural method that I'd have to dust them every few days. I don't want to use DE either as so many report that it doesn't work. I'm really at a loss :(
Update* I just called dominion's 1-800 line and they told me this stuff is now discontinued and as of march 2018 it will not be available in canada at all.

Last edited:
Hello:frow
Welcome to BYC!!
So glad to have you here!!
Thanks for sharing your story!!
There are many people on here that are ready to help in anyway they can!
The learning center also has alot of great information on it as well!
I dont know anything about mites so i will let the experts guide you.
Enjoy!:ya

You can give it today. :)
Really!!!! that makes me soooo happy!!! I hate creepy crawlies! we already dealt with fleas on our dogs and cats a month ago thanks to the neighbor's dog sharing his bugs with my pets! After washing every possible fabric item in the house that could be put in the washing machine and vacuuming my house several times top to bottom to rid our house of fleas, I am so done with itchy biting bugs and I have no patience for this mite issue on my flock!

welcome.gif

To Backyard Chickens!

It is important to take care of the mites and casprotpony is one of the best at helping!

Northern fowl mites can kill chickens

Back
Top Bottom