Newbie to incubating shipped eggs..

AZChickenLady85

Chirping
Apr 22, 2021
Hey guys. Okay so I got 14 (shipped) silkie eggs yesterday, I let them rest for 12 hours and I put them in the incubator with egg turner. Now I am seeing that I should not run the turner (which I already did over night) I have now unplugged it.. How much did I screw up? I'm hoping I'll still have an OK hatch rate.. this is my first time incubating eggs, I feel so dumb, lol.

Hey guys. Okay so I got 14 (shipped) silkie eggs yesterday, I let them rest for 12 hours and I put them in the incubator with egg turner. Now I am seeing that I should not run the turner (which I already did over night) I have now unplugged it.. How much did I screw up? I'm hoping I'll still have an OK hatch rate.. this is my first time incubating eggs, I feel so dumb, lol.
What do you mean? Eggs are supposed to start turning around 5 times a day

Did you candle them first? How is your incubator set up? If it's a horizontal one, that's not good, but if it's a vertical one with a sweeping 45 degree turner, you might be okay. You settle for 12-24 hours, then put them in the incubator. If the air cells are not detached or jiggly, the turner should be okay. Otherwise for sketchy air cells, you let them sit for 3 days (I "twist" them 180 degrees 2/day) before turning on the turner. For now though, let them sit upright without turning until day 3, then hold them air cell up and candle them from the top to see if the cells are detached or jiggly. If they're still fully detached on day 3, you've probably got a dud....BUT, I'm on day 20 of shipped eggs that 8/10 of them showed detached or jiggly on day three. 1 was infertile and 3 of them quit on me, but I have 1 pipping early as I type, 2 dancing around, and 3 with good veins (but they appear to be underdeveloped, so we'll see). I use two Farm Innovators 4250 bators with the turners, the new version for incubating and the old version for lockdown and hatching. They hold the eggs vertically.

If you have a horizontal turner, one member uses baby socks cut into rings to hold them upright and kind of scoot them in the small Brinsea incubator. There's a picture in the thread that discusses it, but I don't remember where it's at.

What it's going to boil down to is how badly they were jostled during shipment and how fertile the flock is. For example, I have 3 sets of eggs hatching now:
1st set, 7 eggs, rare breed - packed poorly and shipped over a holiday weekend even after asking the seller not to, two were cracked, one was infertile. 4 had blood rings by day 7 (two had them on day 3) Only two attempted to develop, one quit, one didn't hatch. Zero chicks.
2nd set, 8 eggs, rare breed - Local pickup, 1 infertile, 3 quit by day 18, 2 hatched, the last 2 left are on day 22. Two (four) chicks so far. (I bought 10 eggs but she didn't have enough so she gave me 2 chicks....I'm pretty sure I made out like a bandit on this one.)
3rd set, 10 eggs, rare breed - shipped from farther away but packed so much better than the first set (also had NPIP papers). Today is day 20. 4 quitters/infertile, 1 pipping now, 2 dancing, 3 still in the running (one of which has a badly saddled cell).
I suspect my local batch has fertility issues, the first batch were scrambled and the seller was really sketchy, and the 3rd batch seems much better than expected for shipped eggs. You never know until you know. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom