flyawayfarms

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Fort Wayne, IN
Hi I am a newbie here, and just got an egg incubator, and am so ready to try it out...but...(isn't there always one) I live in Northern Indiana and don't know if it is safe (weather wise) to have eggs shipped this time of year and need some advise, hubby thinks it is too cold.

Howdy, Fort Wayne! Hubby went to Indiana Tech for about a year and half (blew out his knee, otherwise would have completed) and talks very fondly about his time out there.

It would probably depend on current weather conditions, how well the seller packs the eggs (includes heat pack/insulation, etc), etc. Probably a better route to go would be to see if there are any local folk that have chickens that you could get eggs from. Or if there are any organic food marts, farmer's markets/co-op type dealies that you could get eggs from. I've heard of folks who have done that, even with refrigerated eggs, and have gotten them to hatch.

Good luck! Hope you able to find some!
Katie

I had 2 dozen eggs shipped a couple weeks ago and they're growing just fine. They came from Alabama and they were shipped to Idaho for me. I'd say go for it! Happy hatching!

welcome-byc.gif

It really depends on how cold it gets while they are being shipped.

Look on Craigslist.com in your area, maybe there is someone in your area where you could pick the eggs up from, Plus with this being your first time you could practice with cheap eggs.

Also you can put a post on here under BST - hatching eggs, someone in your area could be on here and have some.

Back
Top Bottom