So here are my three. The Wyandotte has quite a red face but has no 'comb' as yet. The Orpington does have 'comb'. Is this significant to laying or gender?

So here are my three. The Wyandotte has quite a red face but has no 'comb' as yet. The Orpington does have 'comb'. Is this significant to laying or gender?
To me, all of your birds look to be a couple weeks away from laying. The Wyandotte will never get quite as large a comb as the Orpington, because she has a rose comb, whereas the Orp has a single comb. Right now, I'd say that your Faverolle is closest to laying, followed by the Wyandotte, then the Orpington.

Red faces and larger red combs are often signs that laying is near. However, Wyandottes don't develop as large a comb as Orpingtons, since they have a different comb type. I expect that your pullets will begin laying within a month.

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom